Help!!! Mollies!!!! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I need help with my mollies. They all seemed fine the other day, some of them got ich but I got rid of it, it's gone.

But now basically all of them are laying on the bottom, half of them go on there side and look like they are dead, so I stick the net in there and the all swimming away, couple hours later I go back in there and they are all sitting on the bottom again.

I'm worried that they are all going to die :(. I think one died already and now I think the others are on their way. What's going on?

Also I can't tell you the parimeters because my test kit is out and i'm ordering a new one with the rest of my stuff on the 17th.

Please tell me what I could possiblely do, to be honest i'm expecting them to die cuz I don't know what is possiblely wrong.

Also in the same tank my tetras are getting less active now.

But my chinese algae eater and cories are doing fine.

PLEASE HELP!

How did you treat the ich? If meds, maybe the filter is affected. Also, ich can hide in the gills, so they may not be all gone. <That's why you need to treat for a couple weeks past the last visible spot.>

In the absence of a test kit, I would do a largish water change (say 40%) on spec & see if things improves. Make sure you temp match the water. Alternatively, you might want to remove the fish to a QT tank with clean water. Lethargy is so non-specific that I can't really offer anything more than that.

<BTW - if you have a dead fish, make sure you examine it closely (open the gills, open the belly) to see if there is any clue on what is going on.>

I agree with the large water change. I assume you have an airstone in the tank? If not add one. Do you have any scaleless fish or plants in the tank? Sorry kinda tired, can't remember. If not you can add some aquarium salt as well.

I did a 40% water change, I do have air going into the tank already, I have 1 gourmi, 3 black skirt tetras, 4 cories, and one CAE. If that helps at all?

If you want you can add some aquarium salt but it isn't necessary. Mollies can do better with some aquarium salt in the tank.

Ben is this the tank that you are growing the mollie fry out in? Or am i getting you confused with some one else...

Any ways. I Agree with Zagz. My mollies are better when they have salt in the tank. just remember dont add more salt unless you are doing a PWC. Good luck.

Well i'm not going to add the salt don't want to risky my other fish since I don't know if they can have it or not. Some of them are doing better but there is still like three or so that are still laying on the bottom. In a couple days I will do another 40% water change.

Some of the ones that were kind of bad I moved them to a 5 gallon I have some java moss rooting down and I have about 5 very small fry. I moved them in there and they are doing alright in that tank, idk whats wrong with the 55, i've had it setup for like 7 months or something.

Well I guess all I can do is hope that the fish will do better since I can't do anything else.

Nah the 55 gallon isn't planted yet, I think i'll just stick with what i'm doing atm and just see what happens and hope for the best, the other day I said I was sick of all these mollies, but I didn't want them to like die on me lol.

The salt will not harm the fish you listed. But if you have any plants in the tank it isn't good for them.

Someone correct me if I am wrong....but I didn't think salt was good for any scaleless fish..and he mentioned having cories in there. I would defintely not do the salt or take the cories out before adding the salt.

Back
Top Bottom