Help...mollies dying like flies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SherryD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My daughter has had 3 of her 4 mollies die in the last two days and the fourth one ain't looking long for this world! She is devastated and doesn't know what to do.
She has a 55gal, fully cycled, all numbers great. She has 7 serape tetras, 15 neon tetras, 3 cherry barbs, 4 bleeding hearts, 2 albino Cory cats and 6 long fin danios.
There is no apparent illness with the mollies, no ich, parasites or injuries. They are fine one minute and dead the next.
Any ideas?
At this point she doesn't want to get any more mollies even though this is her favorite fish. Any thoughts would be welcome
Thanks

I am very sorry for your loss. Dead fish are no fun at all!
Do you know the exact parameters of the water? How long did she have the mollies? Bad stock is the first thing that springs to mind, but its hard to say for sure...

Numbers for the water are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrates run between 5 and 10. Water changes of about 15% every Sunday.
She has had mollies for about 3 or 4 months. 1 male and 3 females. We expect her last molly, a Dalmation will probably be dead by morning from the way she is acting earlier tonight. Won't eat, sitting on bottom of tank. She feels like she is a horrid fish mommy! So just trying to get ideas. All appeared to be full grown, 2 of the females had babies, we have those in a separate tank. They seem healthy so far.
Thanks for any help.

Numbers for the water are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrates run between 5 and 10. Water changes of about 15% every Sunday.
She has had mollies for about 3 or 4 months. 1 male and 3 females. We expect her last molly, a Dalmation will probably be dead by morning from the way she is acting earlier tonight. Won't eat, sitting on bottom of tank. She feels like she is a horrid fish mommy! So just trying to get ideas. All appeared to be full grown, 2 of the females had babies, we have those in a separate tank. They seem healthy so far.
Thanks for any help.
Thats too bad. I am sorry for her thinking its her fault. IME, sometimes you just get bad stock. Some fish are just so overbred that you can get a batch who just dont't have long lifespans. I have had issues before with livebearers are different varieties not living as long as I feel they should. Anyhow, your tank sounds like its good, so bad stock is my best guess.
What do you feed? How often? I just ask because I accidently killed a few fish from over-feeding freeze dried blood worms. Again, thats not a likely scenerio, just trying to think of other options. Bad stock is still my best guess.

More dead fish!

Well, we have lost a total of 13 fish now, ranging from danios to tetras to gouramis. After a ton of research my daughter and I think it may be fish TB. So what do we do now? :nono: have read everything from chuck everything including the tank and start again to let rest of fish die, clean tank with bleach and start again. My girl is sure it is her fault even though we have read differently, her tank numbers are great...0 ammonia and nitrite and nitrates less than 10-20. Our pH runs high at about 8 to 8.2 but this has always been this way. We have a total of 8 tanks up now, 2-55gal, 1-56gal, 2-10gal, 2-5gal and a new 20gal long set up 2 days ago. All but 20 and 5's are fully cycled. n No other fish deaths in any other tanks.
So any ideas?
Thanks for any help

Back
Top Bottom