Help. My Betta is dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RiDaPe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My betta stopped eating about 9 days ago. I have tried everything to get him better and nothing seems to be working. Here is some more info...

1. His tank is 4 gallons and filtered.
2. I planted some Pothos plants in the filter two or three months before he stopped eating.
3. I do weekly changes of 1/2 gallon and refill with prime treated tap water.
4. About the time he stopped eating I noticed his tank temperature was not being maintained by the cheap heaters that I had. The tank was hovering around 74 degrees. I bought a new heater and now it is around 78 degrees.
5. I took a sample of his water to Petco and they said that all the parameters were okay.
6. I did a PPM test on the water and found it to be around 550(LA tap water comes out at 235ppm). In the last few weeks I started adding a little reverse osmosis water to my changes to reduce the PPM.
7. In the beginning I suspected that he was constipated so I did give him 3 Epsom salt baths 1 per day. 1 tbsp per gallon for 15 minutes. We had a bad habit of feeding him 5 to 6 pellets once per day in the mornings and gave him dried bloodworms a few times a week in the evenings.
8. I recently purchased some Equilibrium and plan on only using treated reverse osmosis in the future.
9. I purchased some live bloodworms to see if I could get him to eat but he ignores them.
10. I purchase some daphnia eggs and I'm trying to hatch them but I don't think it will be fast enough to save him.
11. He is about 2 years old and shares the tank with 2 snails and 2 ghost shrimp.

I hope this is enough information I'll post some pictures.

Attachments

• 20200109_161109.jpg
    20200109_161109.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200110_144630.jpg
    20200110_144630.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20200109_161058.jpg
    20200109_161058.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 42
I don’t know what a PPM test is. Are you talking about a tds meter? Adding RO to lower TDS without knowing what your parameters are seems like a bad idea to me.

Either way step one is going to be to get numbers for those parameters. Unfortunately a petco saying parameters are good doesn’t always mean parameters are actually good.

What did they actually test for?

Bettas do slow down a lot after 1-2 years of age and overfeeding so chronically may have caused water quality issues on top of the constipation.

You’re cleaning out uneaten food promptly right? Don’t fret about the daphnia. I can guarantee that finding some kind of secret food that he adores is not going to be the solution

Thank you for your reply.

Petco used a few test strips that tested ammonia, chlorine, nitrate, nitrite, general hardness, alkalinity and pH.

He would eat all of his food in a few minutes and I always cleaned up after.

I’ve used those strips myself in a pinch if I just want to quickly check that things look normal but when you’re actively trying to diagnose an illness I would strongly suggest getting liquid tests for at a minimum ammonia and nitrite to find out if a mini cycle is contributing to your problem.

Back
Top Bottom