help my black molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snacksmom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i'm a new tank owner ( 3 or 4 months) and i got a sick molly from the store, i know, i know, i should have quarintened him, but i didn't. i already had a female black molly, and got him for company.

he immediatly started to fall apart, like the next morning, he got what looked like a cob web on his tail, then the next day that was rotted off, and he had mor cob web further up till he eventually litterally rotted away, despite my best efforts of tripple sulfur, and erythromycin, i even made a hospital tank and was trippling the salt for him, but he died.

that was a week ago, and my miss molly had gotten one tiny spot on her lip, but that had been getting smaller till today, now it loos like a blister, i pulled her out and made a hospital tank for her, i added fungus cure and erythromycin, and trippled the salt for her.

she was in a breeder tank cause she had babbies about a week ago i guess, didn't know till i found the remaining baby( and named him snack) and i think she's gonna have em again. every where i go they tell be different things to do. I'll do whatever i have to, if i only knew what that was. please help my miss molly, she's a mommy.

I can't offer you direct advice, but just wanted to point out that you might also want to post this in the "sick fish" forum so more people may see it. Good luck.

Welcome to AA. First have you tested your water parameters? Is the molly still in the QT tank? What size tank is the regular tank and the QT tank. I have mollies myself and had a fungus attack them in my tank. I'm not saying it is a fungus yours are suffering from but the spot on the lip sounds like it could be columnaris. If you are able to provide a bit more information it could help. Is she eating? If she is in the same tank as the fry I would remove her to a QT tank and do a water change on the regular tank. The fry don't need the meds, add new charcoal to your filter to remove the meds from the water. If she is still in a QT tank, make sure there is no carbon in the filter, when treating for illness. There are several links at the beginning of the sick fish forum that can help in diagnosis of fish ailments.

What I would try is a pwc, pristine water conditions are a must when treating sick fish. Re-adding salt as directed, not trippling it. Not adding any more meds until I was sure what the fish had and monitoring her for improvement or not. Good luck!

I had a male and female and my female was showing all these simtoms because she was harased by the male for mating :cry: so i removed the male and everything is fine now :wink:

Back
Top Bottom