Help! My filter is killing my fish at night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CRUSHER

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
seems that every morning when i go to feed my community fish, there will be like 4 or five dead one's on my filter intake. the filter is a Aqueon 55 the tank is a 45 tall. Could the fish be running into the intake at night while in sleep mode? can i put a sponge of some type that wont restrict the intake much but yet not grab my fish at night?:confused:
thanks for reading!

Yes, you can get a sponge thing that slips over the intake or you can make one with a little filter media and a couple of rubber bands.

Healthy fish don't get stuck to the filter inlet though. Are you sure there is not something else going on? What are your toxin levels?

filter

The filter does create a lot of current also... could be wearing out the little fish. I have not tested the water, but it is crystal clear which means nothing.... I'll put a smaller filter in and shut off the 55 at night so there wont be so much of a current... and will test the water in the morning.
Yes, you can get a sponge thing that slips over the intake or you can make one with a little filter media and a couple of rubber bands.

Healthy fish don't get stuck to the filter inlet though. Are you sure there is not something else going on? What are your toxin levels?

Like blert said, healthy fish do not get stuck in the filter intake. Dead fish will float around in the current and land on the filter intake eventually though.
You need to test the water for us to know more.
Sorry about your fish. :(

How long have you had your tank running? I have two AC a 70 & 110 on my 46 and don't have any problems. There maybe something wrong with your water.

Back
Top Bottom