Help my Keyholes!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooking12

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 55 gallon tank is in turmoil. Well, not really, but at the same time, really. The facts: over the past three days, I've lost a female gbr and a female swordtail. The male gbr is showing the same symptoms as the female did, and if predict his death. Things to note: a male kribensis cichlid in the tank has been sick for a long time, but has not died (lack of appetite, and incredibly skinny, I've had him for several months, and he's always been slim, but dominant, until gradually he withered). I ordered him 3 krib friends online, all of whom died, probably from insufficient acclimation relative to travel stress. When it was common fish, I minded, but not extensively. However, now my female keyhole of a pair who was preparing to spawn for the first time is breathing heavily and resting on her cleaned site. I also added a female convict from my other tank to the 55 briefly (a few hours) so she could feed (she's a dither fish for my widowed salvini mom and fry in my 40). I think she has something to do with the rams because they both showed the same small cotton like growths by their mouths. Anyway, I did a water change a few days ago and the temp's 82 F. Please help, because my keyhole's mean a lot to me

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The Kribensis sounds like he has parasites. I would put him in the QT and dose with PimaFix.

The Keyholes and GBR's have mouth fungus / cotton mouth so you want to dose Myxazin.

You might just want to run both medications in the tank to cross check.

I understand what you are going through... It's hard to be attached to a sick fish. It's like a relative but atleast the relative can take care of themselves most of the time.

Good luck and best wishes for your fish, - Raymond

Pimafix, will do. Do you know if it is plant and invertebrate safe? I also have some young redbreast acaras in there and I want to be safe and treat the tank like you said. Perhaps this means it isn't too late for the male gbr, after all?

He should be saveable. :) Don't forget the Myxazin! That will help the others.

PimaFix is safe for inverts and plants. I know form experience.

I only used Myxazin in fish only tanks. But I did a little searching and I also remember my uncle using Myxazin on tanks with plants and inverts.

Both are safe. :)

Good luck my friend. - Raymond

I used the Pimafix starting on Sunday, but unfortunately I still lost the keyhole... Guess it was just her time. The male gbr is still alive, however, so I'll continue with the treatment, jic

It's fine, life goes on. Thanks for what you DID do, which probably includes saving my gbr and my krib

Back
Top Bottom