help! my kuhlis are pale!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahsunshine

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got up early this morning and turned on the light in my tropical tank and 2 of my 5 kuhli Loaches are , one very pale and his gills look red... everyone else seems fine. Yesterday I thought they looked fine, but I probably didn't see all of them.

I did a 60% PWC and a bit of a clean (not huge) in case anything was way too high (even though nitrites and ammonia were at 0 before I started). Maybe nitrAtes were high? I doubt it, but I don't have a test so it's possible.

I just realized that the carbon is still in my filter since I set it up about a month ago. Could that be the problem?

I've done so well not killing fish for a while and I'd like to keep it that way after all I've learned these past couple months!

Last edited:
Carbon is only good for about 3-4 weeks, but that shouldn't be the cause of your problem. I've gone longer between changing my carbon in a filter before.

Is there a way you can take a water sample to your LFS and have them check the nitrites? Or do you mean maybe your nitrAtes are high since you said nitrites twice?

Dragonfish - I meant nitrates the second time... I'll fix that.

I also realized that my temperature was at 75 instead of 77 so I turned it up to 79.

The palest one has since disappeared under a rock or log. Everyone else seams in good spirits squiggling around everywhere. Even the neons and rasboras seem brighter. I guess I'll do lots of PWC and do a thorough cleanup this week to see if that helps. I've been doing way bigger PWC than everyone has suggested, and I only have little fish (not full grown), and the tank is not overstocked (according to aqadvisor.com)...

Are you sure that it wasn't startled by the turning on of the lights and lost it's color? That is a pretty common thing with some fish.

almost all fish get really pale when they sleep... give it a few and they should color back up... if they havent within a few hours, then you'll know something isnt right... i had the same scare with my mbuna once... i turned the light on in the middle of the night and they looked like ghosts

Ah... problem identified:

Over-protective parent!

I guess I just startled them, or they were all sleeping. They all look great now! Thanks for answering me!

Kuhlis are more nocturnal then diurnal, they are more active at night and without the light showing their pigmentations they are bleached out. If he took off when he was pale and hid, the next time he is out you will see he is black again.

all my fish less the gups bleach out at night.

a bit off topic.... but....why do people say that carbon is only good for a month? I've checked on my carbon bags after three months being in the filter, and they still make the hissing sound.(indication of carbon cavities working as they should)I always use my carbon bags for 3-4 months. never had any problem with it and my water is always crystal.

a bit off topic.... but....why do people say that carbon is only good for a month? I've checked on my carbon bags after three months being in the filter, and they still make the hissing sound.(indication of carbon cavities working as they should)I always use my carbon bags for 3-4 months. never had any problem with it and my water is always crystal.

I am not sure if you can test carbon by any hissing. The carbon can have all the cavities present, but the surfaces can be fully bound with stuff, so the carbon is no longer effective.

I never run carbon unless there is a need to remove meds, etc. most here find that carbon is not needed. So having perfect water is not an indication that the carbon is working.

Back
Top Bottom