Help needed asap - Dwarf Gourami spazzing out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karbonfyber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a new dwarf gourami a few days ago. The last day he has been slightly tilted and not swimming much. Right now he is flipping upside down sideways, and all around and spazzing out like he has no control of movement. Temp = 77F Ammonia = 0 Nitrites = 0 Nitrates = less than 10

Pic of him here, is he suppose to have that black stripe?

http://imgur.com/4CZQf for the picture

That looks like a female D gourami, the males have very bright red and blue colours.
they like a low current, is ur filter maybe to strong?
they also like some shaded areas provided by floating plants.

Stress maybe? Try adding stress enzyme maybe... I've seen that happen 2 goldfish. He's not trying to scrape his scales on rocks vegetation or gravel is he?

It is a "sunset dwarf gouarmi" The LFS told me it was a male, the gourami has shaded areas to go to and caves it can hide in or plants it can hide under. I do have a AC 50 in a 20 long, but what can be causing the fish's erratic behavior? He is not trying to scrape or anything he isn't eating. He is swimming tilted or in weird loops and circles and sideways. Can it be constipation or swim bladder disease? Should I try a salt bath and epsom salt?

Right now he is swimming at a 30degree tilted angle.

Update: I just put some stress coat in there, he is fully sideways and spinning right now

Sounds like giving stress enzyme a try and remember your gourami is a labyrinth organ fish used to vegetated warm water n requires little food. You made sure to cycle your tank to build up some healthy bacteria?

Oh, and you might want to try either dense low vegetation or something cavernous under the flow of your filter

I should also mention its a planted tank, with a decent amount of plants in there, he is spinning in circles sideways right now....

The tank is 3 month old tank, he was just added 2 days ago.

It's a 20 long, I just took a video of him, will be uploading in a minute. Should I try an epsom salt bath? I'm about to try peas in there...

Wow!!! I've never seen a fish spazzing out like that erratically! One of my Rams a long while back acted in a similar manner right before he ended up dead. Where did you get him at?

I put him in a breeder like container with separate water in the same tank (so he will have heated water, as close as quarantine I can get for him right now as I have cardinals in my QT)

I got this guy from a LFS, instead of pet(smart/co)

I tried feeding him pea's but everyone else in the tank ate the peas before he even spun/spazzed out to the peas, so I decided to try an epsom salt bath and put some peas in there, he kinda went at the peas I think, not sure if he ate them as he was spinning non stop like in that video around the pea bits.

I got this guy from a LFS, instead of pet(smart/co)
Yeah supporting the LFS (mom & pop joints) are best in helping out the local economy. It's definitely the "right" and "PC" thing to do. But it's just sometimes hard to pass up great deals and 14 day fish guarantees from the Pet(smart/co) folks. I'm not gonna lie, I buy from both types of establishments, it depends. Just in your case, the 14 day thing would have came in handy. Perhaps you can contact the LFS for the heck of it?

Well good luck. Hopefully your methods produce results. If nothing changes soon, euthanasia comes to my mind as the option I would consider. Like the previous poster mentioned, it looks neurological and (to me) looks like he could be suffering. :(

Definitely sounds like neurological damage.. I bought fish from Walmart for my kids (and, of course, was bitten by the aquarium bug) that died with in a week. I only have one place I trust now, mom and pop pet shop almost exclusively devoted 2 fish fanatics. My equipment and food however is much cheaper at those evil pet empires, so I'm guilty there

I took him to the shop earlier today, they said he has swim bladder disease. They put him in a QT there and they said they can try to fix him.

did you ever get any resolution to this? Did the fish recover?
Im asking as i have one doing the exact same thing now and it's the 2nd dwarf gourami i have had this happen to

Back
Top Bottom