Help Needed Fish Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackie443

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I have a 180 litre tank. I bought 2 corydoras the other day and they didn't survive 24 hours. I put it down to the pet shop and thought they must have been sick when I bought them. But today I've lost 2 guppies and 2 zebra danios. My water is fine, 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 5 Nitrates, PH 7.00 and temp 25. The last zebra to die had bloody gills which I know can be a symptom of ammonia but I test the water every few days and no ammonia has been present. I had a green water/algae outbreak so I've been changing the water every few days to try and get rid of it. I'm totally confused as to why my fish are dying. Any ideas anyone?:mad:

What kind of dechlor are you using? Are you using tap or well? Have you changed anything within the last week or two other than adding the two fish? What kind of test kit are you using? Do you have any pure ammonia that you could put a drop of in a container with water to make sure your test isnt reading false negative?

Hi

I've added a filter medium bag to my filter( Chemi Pure Elite) to help clear the green water. I'm using API test kits. I scrubbed the ornaments in a basin of warm water and a tiny capfull of bleach to get the algae off but I made sure the were rinsed well in dipped in declorinated water before putting them back. I'm using Nutrafin declorinator. I'll try the ammonia thing as I have some left from when I cycled my tank.

Make sure you get all that bleach off. Air dry it, then soak it in 5 x's the dechlor, and then let it dry again before putting it in the tank.

It could be that the two fish you bought died early in the night. Then they sat decomposing in the tank all night long, and the bacteria present in the water as a result of that is what's killing your danios and guppies. I'd say do a big-ish water change of around 50%, make sure it's dechlor and conditioned well, and hopefully little buddies should be ok.
I once lost twenty fish in the course of a week and later determined it was the bacteria from dead fish. Because of that, now anytime I lose a fish, no matter how quickly I get it out of the aquarium, I always do at least a 30-35% water change if not a 50%. I haven't had that problem every since, though I've lost individual fish, it's never set off an epidemic like that, thankfully.

Good luck to you and your underwater friends!

Back
Top Bottom