help!!!! new Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevccoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I just got 2 oscars, and it has been 24 hours and the Black and orange one still has discoloration(wasn't like that at the LFS.) when he first got put in tank, he went ill, swimming funny and got discolored, over night he seemed to get better, but not perfect, he is eating, but the discoloration and weak swimming is concerning me(the current from the emporer 400 is pushing him around, but not the other fish) check out the video. I had the bag in tank to even out water, and slowly over an hour or so, added small amounts of water to his bag, and then put him in. the ph is 7.0, temp is 78, ammonia is small(less than .25) no nitrites and trates are around 5ppm-10ppm. tank is cycled, ammonia just slited today after they were put in last night
img_1176882_0_4d810e44bf3046e9f76b546e4e18cdc3.jpg
http://s457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/kevccoy/?action=view&current=S6304545.mp4

by the way, the mollies and other small fish, are going to the wifes tank, in fact most are there as of today.

here is a still photo, the white dot in the middle is not on the fish..LOL
all the discoloration is not normal, he was all black with orange spots, and well you can see where the color is gone.
img_1176888_0_dd0a09d89e87bb8fd5282040574b7174.jpg

yes he was acclimated correctly, the temp is 79, only thing I can figure is, I called to the LFS and the PH they kept them in was 7.8 they said chichlids like high PH, but I had mine at 7.2 which all the research I did said they do better in 7.0-7.2. but acclimation should make that safe right? or could that be part of the problem.

Your PH is fine. I think he might be stressed from the move. He is eating so that is a good thing. I would give him some time to get used to his new home.

+1, I agree with thuffman. My fish lighten up when they are stressed too, but they come out of it. :) Keep us updated!

Today they are moving around better, still a little wobbly, but still eating well. Color is still patchy....hope they make it through..

Oscars are by far the biggest drama queens you'll ever encounter. I have a breeding male and female that change color by the minute.

Just give them clean water and a healthy diet and they'll soon become your favorite fish.

everything seemingly good, the albino still a little "confussed" but got the other fish switched to other tank and all is goo with them, so maybe this will reduce the stress on the Oscars.

hey folks how many Oscars can you keep in one tank, say a 55. A friend of mine said he has two albino very aggressive. They killed the tiger Oscar he had.

hey folks how many Oscars can you keep in one tank, say a 55. A friend of mine said he has two albino very aggressive. They killed the tiger Oscar he had.

Please start your own thread, as this one is mine, and I hate reading a bunch of stuff that does not pertain to the original topic....
but 2 answer your question 2 oscars in a 55 is to many, you need at least a 75 for 2, and that is pushing it. unless you over filter the water, say 3x the filter standards(so for a 75 you need filters to do 200 gallons of water in my opinion)

Please start your own thread, as this one is mine, and I hate reading a bunch of stuff that does not pertain to the original topic....
but 2 answer your question 2 oscars in a 55 is to many, you need at least a 75 for 2, and that is pushing it. unless you over filter the water, say 3x the filter standards(so for a 75 you need filters to do 200 gallons of water in my opinion)

+1

i am new to this site. i had a small 29 gallon tank with just a few starter fish. Now i have 2 oscar and an angellica cat. This tank is only temporary because i know the size requirements but they are still babies. My angellica cat is extremely energetic like it was at the store. however my oscars will ocassionally hunt the feeder fish but are not very sucessful. they wont eat brine shrimp or bloodworms. They lay in the cave most of the day and barely eat anything? Any help?

Back
Top Bottom