HELP!!! Odd slim!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcnomnom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HELP!!! Odd slime!!

Will someone please help me out here!

I am a new fish keeper started my 10 gallon tank abut a month ago.
I have 2 male mollies and 2 male guppies. Unforntunatly, i had bought sick fish (unknowingly). One of my mollies had ick and my other molly had ick AND cotton wool. To add to this trouble, right when the fish seemed sick my nitrites spiked like crazy and no matter what i did (add conditioner, water changes, etc) they only went up. (Every time i do a waterchange i do and conditioner and dechlorinator) Needless to say i treated for both the ick and the cotton wool both and they are gone now. (yes i took out the carbon filter) I do have an air stone and have been cutting back on the fishes food (tropical flakes) and have only been feeding the batch of 4 one flake per fish per day. I just put the carbon filter back in after treatment and tested my levels. I thought i was out of the woods but nope. Now in my tank is this slim that is clear. It feels like snot but it is over EVERYTHING. Ive done one 15% change and cleaned the whole tank decorations, gravel, walls, everything. Sure enough next day its ALL back. What is this stuff? Some of the slimy stuff grows off in strands some in beads an some flat against the walls, gravel, and plants. I looked at my carbon filter the other night and this slimy stuff was on my carbon filter and it looked like what a lot of gel would to hair, I scrapped it off though. My mollies seem to be eating it so im kinda worried, i dont want another illness. None of the fish seem bothered by it but its making my water cloudy and its really gross to the touch. I researched and it could be an algea bloom but im not 100% sure. Current levels Ammonia- 0 Nitrite- 3 (yes i know its high but at its peak at one point it was 10 so its a much needed change). Nitrate- 20 ph- 7 and my temp is 80. My light is on from 6 am till 4 pm and there is a window in the room, but I have shades over the window so some light gets in but not much and its not directly on the tank. I do water changes 10% every week yes gravel vacuuming. Can anyone help me out?!?

Take the carbon out and see what happens? Sorry--I don't know what it is, but that's my first instinct.

Hi and welcome!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
Please read this

What did you use to cure the ick?
The slime could be from that.
What color is the water?
Put it in a clear glass and hold it up to the light.
As you know you really need to get the nitrite down. Do not be afraid of large water changes they are beneficial. You need to get the nitrite down to 0.25ppm or lower. Try a back to back 50% water changes with temperature matched water. Test the water half an hour later and if it's still too high do more water changes. Water changes will not hinder the cycle but will protect your fish.
10% water changed weekly is not enough. After the cycle is complete I'd suggest 50% water change once a week.

The water is cloudyish, it was very cloudy but after the past couple of days, the water has gotten cleaner after putting back in the carbon filter. Although, now the carbon filter is drenched in this slime. Im trying to add pictures, but cant get them on the thread for some reason. I used Kordon Rid Ich Plus. It turned the water blue but now after treatment, the water is cloudy. I dont understand why the nitrites spiked so randomly. It was only one week it skyrocketed the other three weeks earlier, it has been at zero. I probably will do a 50% change soon, but i dont know if it will solve this slime problem. Thanks!!!

Mcnomnom said:
The water is cloudyish, it was very cloudy but after the past couple of days, the water has gotten cleaner after putting back in the carbon filter. Although, now the carbon filter is drenched in this slime. Im trying to add pictures, but cant get them on the thread for some reason. I used Kordon Rid Ich Plus. It turned the water blue but now after treatment, the water is cloudy. I dont understand why the nitrites spiked so randomly. It was only one week it skyrocketed the other three weeks earlier, it has been at zero. I probably will do a 50% change soon, but i dont know if it will solve this slime problem. Thanks!!!

It sounds like a bacteria bloom. Very common in a new tank. Google it for information. It should resolve itself soon.
The nitrites have spiked because your tank is cycling. First the ammonia will spike and fall then the nitrites will spike and fall them the nitrates will increase. Read the link above and it will explain the process. You need to keep up water changes and keep nitrite as low as possible (.25ppm or lower).

Thats what i thought. But wasnt for sure i have been doing a bit of research (im one of those who digs up anything they can with research) but will look into it further. The only thing odd with my nitrites is that my ammonia never spiked. It seems maybe my nitrites and now going down and probably will spike the nitrates but i know those are a lot less deadly so im glad they just came down. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Back
Top Bottom