Help oscars scales peeling !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My oscars scales suddenly peeling ! In morning it looked fine, came back few hours later and he looks like this!! Both sides the same !ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437029517.989891.jpg

Now he looks much worse! his body is totaly raw ! My anomia is 0 nitite 0.1. Nitrate 50. I just did a 40% water change and i started useing melefix. I dont know if the other one attacking him or what ! Any ideas or help what to do anyone ?

Sometimes if there are just two they will fight when no one is watching, maybe he's nipping at him or her.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Those look like legit bites from another fish if it happened fast, I know you don't want to hear this but you have to separate them and add salt to the water. ( special salts you get from the fish store) helps him heal faster.

All it takes is for the other Oscar to penetrate the scales and a few lethal bites later it will die, trust me I know from experience.

Well fish already died! I guess the other was attacking it!

I was trying to tell you! But I guess it's too late man sorry for your loss.

How do i keep oscars 2 oscars together? It cause maybe they were the same sex they killing each other or what ?

The other one looked like crazy now! Attacking rocks chewing the chewing gravel ! I never saw it acting like this before!

I'll give you the straight up answer to that and that's 1 Oscar if you have a smaller tank, I had four at one time but mixed with others and got along fine but when you have just two they will fight over territory and mine were small though yours looked huge. I would say a few if you have a 200 gal tank. Oscars get way too big honestly and way too fast.

That's because he knows he won and is the alpha male with no others to keep him in check. Don't be surprised if he redecorates your tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437204824.034244.jpgthis was a 5 inch and because the other 2 were 3inch and white Oscar 4 inch it may have been a size thing I don't know maybe someone else can answer that. All I know was they never attacked each other because I had others in the tank. But please don't go the route lol I learned the hard way

Ive had them for bout a year, its a 90g tank , tho i was planning to upgrade to 120g.

Could be that they out grew the tank, it only takes about a year or so for oscars to get huge.

Back
Top Bottom