Help Oto stuck in goby mouth...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
60074-albums11380-picture59002.jpg

Found this guy /Purple Spotted Gudgeon /Goby with a Oto in his mouth.

Then after a half hour he is still got the thing in there in the same spot and I think due to the little spines he might have the Oto stuck.

How can I get it out? Thinking of catching the Goby and using a tweezer to try and dislodge it, a little like getting a hook out of the mouth of a fish you caught with a fishing pole.

Goby is breathing fast/heavy.

Anybody got any better ideas????????

i forgot what it was called, but you can Google anesthesia for puffer fish and try to numb the goby and see if that helps. this specific anesthesia is used to trim the teeth on the puffer so I'm assuming it's fish safe. YouTube also has video on it

The only bad thing I'm thinking of is when you try to pull out the oto, their pectoral fins are like barbs and will catch in the goby's thorax.

Maybe try just wiggling and gently twisting the oto to make it easier to go down the throat, but I would suggest not pulling it out.

Thank you. I worry about it either way...

The Oto is at a bit more of an angle now to the side, but the same basic thing.

If the barb, one or both breaks off he could die of an infection. If he can swallow it how will the barbs go through the Goby's system? If I try and hold him and pluck it, twist it, how will I know how much I get out/dislodged? He isn't gonna sit still and I don't have the 222 stuff and when I did try to get clove oil I was told it would need to be ordered, I never ended up getting it.

That happened to an oranda I had. Oto had died and the oranda ate it before I could remove it. Tail was sticking out of its mouth. Used needle nose pliers to dislodge the rear pointing pectoral spines. Much like removing a hook. Ended up pushing the oto further into the orandas mouth to clear the spines. Oranda was fine afterwards.

That happened to an oranda I had. Oto had died and the oranda ate it before I could remove it. Tail was sticking out of its mouth. Used needle nose pliers to dislodge the rear pointing pectoral spines. Much like removing a hook. Ended up pushing the oto further into the orandas mouth to clear the spines. Oranda was fine afterwards.

Thank you for the encouragement.

lol, my husband said needle nose pliers when I told him!

Though I said they better be small ones, like craft type maybe.

OHHH sooooo scary!

Just random thinking but why not try some sewing scissors and try cutting the otto

Did it!!!

Well I used the magic black net and left it in the corner and guided with the blue net he swam into the black net to hide and I swooped him up very fast!!!lol

I had a bucket of treated water I used under him in case I dropped him or he needed a rest.

I used some very soft wet foamy type paper towels to hold him and just took two attempts of twisting in a circle and a little push down and circular pull up and out.

Found both very long barbs/same size on the Oto so they didn't get stuck in the Goby. The barbs are appx 6mm each/I measured them with my sewing tape measure!!!

Got the whole Oto, dead of course.

Goby's nick name is "Puppy" since he rushes over to see me and begs for food at the front of the tank. He kinda looks like a bull dog!

Puppy was plopped back into the tank and promptly hid.

I will monitor him further and see how he does, and let you all know!

He has a huge mouth and may need to find a new home! Probably why there haven't been any stray baby guppies...:blink:

Back
Top Bottom