Help please!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have 3 fish.....2 small orandas and a black moor, one of my orandas (the smallest one) is acting weird....some of his tail is missing and he's at the surface constantly, he is eating though and swimming a bit.....my other two are very jumpy and chasing one another and swimming really fast! I did have another one in my tank but it died last week!! I I've only had my fish for 2 weeks and I have a 24 litre tank! I have a filter and everything looks fine! My smallest oranda (the one with some tail missing) has some White dots on! I have been putting the treatment in for White spot but they still haven't gone yet! I am worried about them and tomorrow I will call up the pet shop I got them from and ask advice.......any advice now would be much help
Thanks

Hello again! I hate to sound like a broken record, but your issue is your water- 24l is only 6gallons. They are being sickened & poisoned by toxic levels of ammonia and nitrite. None of these guys realistically belong in this tank. They need atleast a 40g tank and you need a test kit for your water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph to monitor these levels.

Your only option is to change most of their water daily with temperature-matched, properly conditioned water until you can upgrade their home to a 40g. If you are not able do this, I would suggest returning them or rehoming them as soon as possible. Heres the fish-in cycling link for you to read again.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Last edited:
I second jlk's advice. Goldfish are actually very fragile when it comes to their water. Get out that bucket every day and change their water its their only hope right now. Rule of thumb is 20 gallons for the first goldfish and 10 gallons for each additional. So as jlk said 40gallons is your minimum upgrade. 6 gallons would be too small for even one goldfish. I wish you guys well keep us updated.

Hi! A agree with the posts above. Your fish are going to continually get sick if kept in a tank of that size. It sounds to me your fish is suffering from fin rot. It is brought on by stress and poor water conditions. Both of which are being caused by the small tank. The best thing you can be doing right now is changing the water daily. You might even need to change it 2 or 3 times a day in a tank that small. Please look for another home or a bigger tank for your Goldies ASAP.

Hi, thanks for ur help! I'm just upset as the guy at the pet shop (which is the best pet shop around) Said that my tank would be fine with my fish. He Said I would need to clean it out every week. I'm just upset as these are my first fish and I don't have enough money to upgrade their home! I will do daily water changes it's just so weird how like everyone I know who has goldfish, never use water conditioner or all the treatment I do and they have lived for like 5 years. Like my nan, she has 5 giant goldfish living in a 24l and she barely ever cleans it and she doesn't use all the treatment and she has even bought them back to life one when they died, by massaging them. And they have lived for 10 years!! I'm just going to call up the pet shop today and complain as they have given me the wrong advice!!! Thanks everyone for ur help!!

Hi Fishlove, Pleases do not beat yourself up over the situation. You are learning just as I am. It is a positive choice you have made to come on to AA to ask questions. I shop at petco and petsmart all the time, two really big chain stores here in the US. I have gotten a ton of inaccurate advice from them. I completely stopped listening to them a while back and answer my own questions on the internet and now AA. I actually had to explain a fish less cycle to an employee the other day he was looking at me like I was crazy. I sort of follow what you are saying about your friends tanks. When I was growing up my Grandfather had two 55 gallon tanks. He hardly ever cleaned them they always looked like swamps and he overstocked them with feeder fish you know the cheap kind. And some of them got huge but others died. My personal experience with goldfish is your water and food quality can never be to good. Good luck Fish Friend.

Thank you my fish babies!! :)!! I spoke to the pet shop and they said that he might just be feeling Ill or be stressed!! I mean 2 of them are fine an eating just one of them is at the bottom breathing heavily and has like purple gills! The guy at the pet shop said just use stress coat and he should get better! He is swimming around a bit which I guess is a good sign!! I am using the de chlorinater and everything! I guess it will just tale some getting used to! And I'm sure I won't get it right the first time!
Thank you everyone for ur help!

Back
Top Bottom