help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemyguppies

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last week i got 2 new guppies, and put them in my ten gallon with 2 other adult guppies and a white skirt tetra, and my 9 one month old guppy fry. Two days later i noticed some white on the edge of one of the new guppies tail, the next day part of the tail was gone. I went to my lfs and found that the tank i got the guppies from was on quarantine for fin rot. I bought api furan 2 and have added it the past 4 days. Then today i came home from work and found 4 of my guppy fry dead, they had white spots on them. 3 of my adult guppies and my tetra appear to be fine. The one still looks like she has fin rot. Some of the other fry have white spots too. I did a 25% wc yesterday as the directions with furan 2 specified, and Sunday i had done a 50% wc and gravel vac. Last night all of my fish except the female with fin rot looked perfectly normal. I don't know what's going on

I am so sorry for your fry loss...

Fin rot is extremely contagious. When you buy new fish, you need to quarantine them in a separate aquarium (doesn't have to be fancy...i.e. no substrate, no "decorations") but it does need a filter and heater. Also make sure the water is balanced and treated with conditioner.

Good luck!

edit: They need to be quarantined about 2-3 weeks before you add them to the tank.

My levels tested good, and i use api stress coat, but what concerns me is that the white spots on the fry weren't only on their fins. Also even though I've completed the treatment of furan 2 should i continue using it since the issue hasn't cleared up?

Back
Top Bottom