Help please? Columnaris!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrismwellman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A friend has approached me with pictures of her obviously not so well off goldfish companion of 6 years now. From what little I know about freshwater fish, personally more of a saltwater guy myself, this seems to be columnaris. Anybody out there able to confirm, deny and/or recommend what it may be - how to treat? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Ty!!!

Attachments

• image-2821540035.jpg
    image-2821540035.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,081
  • image-1516685465.jpg
    image-1516685465.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 6,024
If it is columnaris and it's that bad, the fish is going to die. It's a very fast acting bacterial infection and once the white stuff starts showing, if immediate treatment isn't available, well, it's not good news. I lost over 20 fish to it in 5 days back in September. If it is in fact columnaris, some things that can be done is add salt to the tank and reduce the temp. If your friend has or can get meds, I'd do Kanamycin or Maracyn and Maracyn-Two simultaneously. One takes care of gram + and the other gram - bacteria. That way in case it isn't columnaris which is gram -, it will take care of whatever else it maybe, if it's bacterial. It would be kinda like a broad spectrum antibiotic. A bath of potassium permangenate or Methylene blue may also help.

Also, depending on the tank size, I'd move the fish to a smaller QT tank for ease of treatment. Your friend also needs to make sure the water is very clean and well oxygenated. Columnaris likes dirty water and low O2.

Thanks, Nubster! Appreciate the quick reply!

I will pass this information along and hope it isn't too late...

Back
Top Bottom