Help please my betta is dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lexibunny6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm a beginner/intermediate fish owner and So I noticed this morning my betta was crashed at the bottom of the tank I immediately quarantined her and my other fish inhabiting the tank. Then I completely emptied and cleaned my tank and refilled it then treated it with betta fix and conditioner. I'm not sure what step to take next. I have dosed each 1 gallon quarantine with Marineland's all-in-one remedy medication that supposedly can treat external parasites, viral, fungal and bacterial infections. But I'm not sure if this will work..I don't know exactly what my betta is ill with. Also what am I suppose to treat my tank with to make sure I have rid of any diseases or parasites in that could still be present in the water? Help please I want to save my babies ♥️IMG_0455.jpgIMG_0455.jpg

For one you never never never completely empty a tank and refill, you will now have to wait for it to cycle again, the first thing you should have done is perform a water test using a api master liquid test kit, then after you got the readings which im assuming the parameters are way off, you should do only Max 30% pwc with new temperature matched water treated with prime or another good water conditioner.

What size tank
What fish do you have in this tank
If you did a test what are the readings
In the quarantine tank you're going to have to do small water changes daily because it's not cycled, 10% daily, if you don't have prime and you can get it do so, whatever is in him is a fungus in not an expert at diseases so Hopefully someone comes by and helps you further

The pic us hard to see us that his bubble nest or is that white fuzzy stuff on his body?

Potluck, I disagree that the tank will have to cycle again.

The fuzzy stuff looks like a fungal infection. Could you tell us more about the tank that had the issues?

Potluck, I disagree that the tank will have to cycle again.

The fuzzy stuff looks like a fungal infection. Could you tell us more about the tank that had the issues?
You don't think draining every bit of water, washing the tank down and refilling it will cause it to recycle? If that's the case then changing gravel shouldn't either, neither should 100% water changes , but they do on occasion, I didn't mean definitely but it all depends on if they did filters and gravel or let them dry out .

It is highly possible that you may experience a mini cycle. I don't think that you'll completely have to recycle your tank, but you very well could experience spikes in ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I've talked to people who changed 100% of their water without knowing better and lost every fish in the tank.

As far as the betta is concerned, I apologize for being of no help. I'm the world's worst at diagnosing.

I'm a beginner/intermediate fish owner and So I noticed this morning my betta was crashed at the bottom of the tank I immediately quarantined her and my other fish inhabiting the tank. Then I completely emptied and cleaned my tank and refilled it then treated it with betta fix and conditioner. I'm not sure what step to take next. I have dosed each 1 gallon quarantine with Marineland's all-in-one remedy medication that supposedly can treat external parasites, viral, fungal and bacterial infections. But I'm not sure if this will work..I don't know exactly what my betta is ill with. Also what am I suppose to treat my tank with to make sure I have rid of any diseases or parasites in that could still be present in the water? Help please I want to save my babies ♥️View attachment 301465View attachment 301465
I'm not a pro but I've been in the freshwater hobby for a few years. From my experience it helps a lot to research on the signs of sickness your fish show...i know it sounds lame. I did this a lot when i jumped into the saltwater side. You'll be surprised how much you can learn. And another thing...its hard to know when you don't really say what your fish look like...there can be many things wrong with your fish. One thing I usually do that some hobbyist don't recommend is use aquarium salt. I've had great success. It helps your fish get electrolytes and salt can help rid your tank of parasites. Test your water and make sure your ammonia isn't detectable because ammonia is harmful for fish. I hope this helps and good luck

Relax everyone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't bettas have the ability to breath air at the surface when their water goes bad. That's why they can be sold at wal-mart kept in little 8 oz. Plastic cups w/lids and no filtration.
So even if the cycling spikes occur the betta can simply breath air, providing it can swim to the surface.
Good luck with your sick fish.

Relax everyone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't bettas have the ability to breath air at the surface when their water goes bad. That's why they can be sold at wal-mart kept in little 8 oz. Plastic cups w/lids and no filtration.
So even if the cycling spikes occur the betta can simply breath air, providing it can swim to the surface.
Good luck with your sick fish.
That's true but thats why they usually don't do too well in those stores. The water quality sucks

The white fuzz is a fungus it could be collumanaris, could be something else, if it's Collumanaris it's very hard to treat you need a gram positive and gram negative med used together to combat it, I've also heard people say they have cured it without those but they wouldn't say how, it's definitely not good I would go to the lfs and get a med for fungus, by lfs (local fish store) I don't mean petsmart, petco or any other big chain store, go to a reputable lfs by you take the picture in and they will give you the med to to treat it, but if you gave us more information on the tank, size, water parameters, any new additions etc etc it would be easier to help you.

As far as bettas in a bowl/cup that's only meant to be temporary.

You need an antifungal treatment and treat the whole Tank as if one fish has it is almost a guaranteed the others will as well cause it spreads very fast.

Thanks everyone for the input and help ..she did pass cause the illness had already progressed to the point of which she could no longer swim but I now know what I should do to prevent this and maintain a healthy and balanced tank

Back
Top Bottom