Help Please Sick Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HarleyNQ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My poor girl, Sapphire, is blowing up like a balloon and idk why. Tank parameters are golden, and she eats like a pig. I looked at her today and I'm fearing the worst because her scales are starting to stick out. I heard salt baths help for dropsy but I don't know how to do them DX I have bettameds if it's something else and have been feeding her broccoli tops for the past two days. I don't want to loose her she's my little tank queen T^T

It's common for betta's to over eat and bloat. I'd try fasting her for a few days and feeding her a pea. Can you post a picture?

when I first got my betta, I overfed him, so be real careful about that, he looked so fat and bloated. so if you are feeding a lot, a fasting will not hurt. a cooked inside of a pea helped mine out.

It's common for betta's to over eat and bloat. I'd try fasting her for a few days and feeding her a pea. Can you post a picture?

I hope so, she's so pretty and she was the first fish I got when I picked up this hobby. Sorry, I don't have a camera :C

when I first got my betta, I overfed him, so be real careful about that, he looked so fat and bloated. so if you are feeding a lot, a fasting will not hurt. a cooked inside of a pea helped mine out.

I've had Bettas before and never had this problem, I don't know what could have happened. Know of any places I can get organic peas? I've never looked because...well...I hate peas (yuck).

If her scales are sticking out your looking at dropsy I'm sorry. You can try salt baths and last ditch antibiotics.
Common Name: Dropsy
Pathogen/Cause: Various organisms (nonspecific), poor water quality.
Physical Signs: Bloated appearence with scales that stick out like a pine cone. Best viewed from above. Dropsy is not really a specific pathologic entity, it is to describe a general condition of fluid accumulation in the internal body cavity, which has many causes. Dropsy usually signals internal infection and multiple organ failure. It can be compared to ascites in humans in end stage kidney failure.
Behavioral Signs: Lethargy, lack of appetite, grave constitutional signs.
Potential Treatment: Unfortunately, dropsy is *usually* incurable and fatal; however, in rare cases, spontaneous recovery may occur. A strong antibiotic such as kanamycin sulfate can be tried, but because it is an internal infection, usually it does little good.
Other Notes: Take measures to improve water quality immediately. Fortunately, it is not highly contagious.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#ERM

No need for organic peas, just pick up a bag of the frozen ones from the grocery store, microwave it in a little tank water, let it cool, remove the skin, and cut it into bite size pieces and feed it to her. As for the salt baths, google it. The quicker you can treat for dropsy, the better. If this is what she has, you need to act quickly because it usually is fatal. Dropsy is a symptom, not a disease, caused by fluid buildup, usually due to organ failure. Feed the peas if she is eating in case it is just some bad bloating, but find out how to do the salt baths and pick up a good antibiotic ASAP.

Take 1 gallon of tank water.
Add and dissolve 4 teaspoons of salt (no iodine or anticaking agents).
Add the fish and leave them for 20-30 minutes.
Remove fish and return to tank.
Watch them very closely while in the bath. If they tip over, freak out, have fast, irregular or stop breathing remove from the bath immediately.
You can do one of these baths daily.

Take 1 gallon of tank water.
Add and dissolve 4 teaspoons of salt (no iodine or anticaking agents).
Add the fish and leave them for 20-30 minutes.
Remove fish and return to tank.
Watch them very closely while in the bath. If they tip over, freak out, have fast, irregular or stop breathing remove from the bath immediately.
You can do one of these baths daily.

Aquarium Salt? or some other salt?

Put her in a 5 gal hospital tank so she can relax some without her tank mate poking at her. Gave her a salt water dip/bath and tossed in some bettafix until I can get out tomorrow and pick up something stronger. She's being lazy/lethargic atm either sitting at the filter's intake or letting the current take her. If not that she just sits at the surface, I think I'll put her betta leaf in there just so she has a place to hang. Cross your fingers for me~<3

Sapphire didn't make it through the night ;^; Found her doing a headstand at the bottom of the tank this morning when I woke up. :C I hope her tank mate,Razzle, won't be lonely. TT^TT R.I.P My little tank jewel.

HarleyNQ said:
Sapphire didn't make it through the night ;^; Found her doing a headstand at the bottom of the tank this morning when I woke up. :C I hope her tank mate,Razzle, won't be lonely. TT^TT R.I.P My little tank jewel.

I'm so sorry to hear that! :( RIP Sapphire.

Back
Top Bottom