Help!!pleco unwell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chavster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just bought a 7inch pleco for my 5gal tank which already houses 6 bronze corys.This morning when I looked he was just laying on his side but still breathing.I thought i spotted some fungus so i added 5 tsps of salt but this has made no difference but I think whatever he has is affecting my corys as one has died already.please help.

pleco..

could it be that he is lonely and stressed?I could always buy another to keep him company..

Salt will not help with a fungal problem. You need to get meds to treat it. QT the pleco right away. I also believe the cories maybe reacting to the salt in the water, not anything from the pleco. Do a 50% water change right away.

Aside from all that--what are your water parameter--ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? How long has the tank been set up? When were the fish added?
That is too many fish for that size of a tank. If that is a common pleco, it can easily reach over a foot long. Do not buy another pleco for that tank.

and...
[center:63e913766e] Welcome to Aquarium Advice, chavster!! :n00b: [/center:63e913766e]

Lots of nitrites is NOT okay (that number should be zero) and that temp is low for tropical fish. Do you have a heater? Do you have test kits? Please post the exact numbers for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

i aggree that you probably shouldn't get another pleco as two may start getting a little too much for that tank, but if u really want more fish then maybe u should just get a handful of guppies and/or barbs in there, as they are quite small when they are young. maybe put a few fist size rocks in the tank cos then he'll have something to swim around and it might cheer him up a bit.

ammonia-zero,nitrites-5 according to test card.should i buy a heater??I keep the tank on the fireplace so its usually warm.

No more fish in that tank. 5 gals is already too small for a 7" fish. That tank is packed too full already and never add more fish to a tank where illness is occurring. What type of filter is on that tank?

I have a half brick in my garden,would that cheer them up?How many guppies would I need to get as its only a 5 gal tank and i wouldnt want too many in there as it will need too much cleaning.Would 5-6 be ok?

brick might do for now as long as u chip most cement off it if has been used in past, as for guppies, well i'd be wary about going into double figures, but if u get ms and fs then u may wake up to some nice babies one morning which would always be a welcome addition to yr tank.
as for heating, if u rely on warmth from yr fire then make sure tank is pretty warm in the evening by the time u turn yr fire off otherwise it maybe too cold by the morning - and we dont want any deaths!

ok,ive put the brick in the tank,I thoroughly scrubbed it with detergent first to remove any nasties.Would i be able to keep a frog in my tank as there is some frogspawn in my local pond and i could add that to my tank instead of guppies???
thanks for your help!

what kind of frog is it - i've seen brown ones in tanks - i suppose u'd just have 2 see what colour they were after they hatched - a quicker way might be to actually try to catch a frog - if there is spawn, there may be a frog nearby.

No guppies, do not add anything until you know what's wrong with the pleco. After that, some fish have to go before you add any more fish.
You need a heater for tropical fish, which is what cories are. A heater will keep the temperature from fluctuating, which is stressful for the fish.
Do you have a filter in the tank now? If not, air stones will help, but you need some sort of filtration for beneficial bacteria to grow. This tank is not cycled. Read the article on cycling.
You need to be doing 50% water changes daily to get the nitrites down. You will need to be doing water changes often if you do not have a filter.
No garden bricks, unless you can be 100% sure there are no chemicals, soaps, detergents on it.

Pleco (Dave) is fine and well,I now have a heater and he also has some small frogs I managed to buy to keep him and the corys company.
Thanks for the help! :D

Back
Top Bottom