Help! Poorly Molly, now has something coming out of bum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zephyrdel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My molly has been steadily getting fatter, at first I thought she was pregnant however no fry have been born. So she's been happy, feeding well, no issues with behaviour, and steadily getting fatter for around 2 months. Yesterday she didn't want to feed and I noticed she would rest on surfaces or in plants and stop swimming. Her bum area looked swollen. During the evening I would find her just laying amongst the plants (never on her side or upside down) and honestly thought she would die overnight. I found her lying still and head down within the plants this morning, but when I got the net to retrieve her she began to move and is now hanging around the top of the tank. She now has something protruding from her bum. Despite googling furiously for 24 hours I still have no idea what's wrong or how to help her. Can anyone please help?

Attachments

• IMG_20210711_113823.jpg
    IMG_20210711_113823.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210711_113619.jpg
    IMG_20210711_113619.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 29
If there are any males in the tank or she was previously in a tank with a male then she is pregnant. She looks to be.
I'm not sure what to suggest other than getting her into a tank which around 80 degrees or about 2 degrees higher than what you have. Higher Temps can stimulate birth.

There may be a baby stuck, possibly dead. It's impossible to say for sure but that is my guess.

Maybe someone with advanced knowledge on assisting birth could help. Maybe something could be done manually but that's beyond my scope.

Try the temp increase. I'd be interested to know if it works.
If she does die, I would check for fry. If any are living you could release them, of you act fast enough.

Back
Top Bottom