HELP!! PROBABLE PARASITES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3newbie3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I can't believe I typed a long post, then deleted it by mistake Here it is again. I don't have time to search the internet & do alot of research. I have read enough to guess that my problem is parasites. (belly rubbing, sluggish)

I have 3 established tanks w/ live bearers & tetras. All was fine til this summer when I adopted fish & seaweed from my daughter’s classroom tank. The seaweed had originally been from a pond, but I figured it was probably OK since the fish there had done fairly well (despite total neglect from the teacher).

Unfortunately, it wiped out just about all my guppies in one tank, along with the swords. The tetras & 1 of the catfish have been fine. Before adding new fish, I got rid of most of the water, treated the tank w/ Parasite Clear from Tank Buddies. I adopted another 2 swords & 4 platys from CL. They started rubbing bellies along rocks & objects. Again I treated w/ parasite Clear, then followed their instructions & did a PWC in 2 days, w/ another RX, then repeat in 7 days. The platys are better w/ less rubbing, better appetite, less stringy poop.

All my tank parameters are fine. The tank is not overcrowded.

2 questions.

1. My one remaining adolescent guppy is picking at the formerly ill fish. I do not see ANYTHING external on these fish. Is this a symbiotic parasite? Or is the guppy being aggressive? The guppy is 1/10 the size of the other fish, so it seems weird.
2. Is Parasite Clear the best one or should I use something else.

Parasite clear is a good medication if it is the Jungle brand. The guppy is acting normally, fish do pick on other fish when they are ill. If the fish are eating you could also try feeding some medicated food for internal parasites from Jungle.

I forgot to mention that when I noticed the problem, there were tons of tiny white worms on top of the plastic baby hide-out seaweed. Obviously, I took out the seaweed & sterilized it. I haven't put it back yet. Maybe I should to see if the stuff is still there?

The little white worms are called Planaria. Listed below are some sites that kind of explain them and ways to get ride of them. They are harm less to your fish, they just eat left over food/waste.

Web site: http://www.aquariumfish.net/information/having_trouble_p2.htm

Google search: [google]little white worms in aquariums[/google]

From what I read from a couple of sites, it just takes time to get ride of them and they are harmless to your fish, just annoying. lol

Thanks for the info! I don't usually over-feed, but my fish's appetites were poor, so I had been putting in shrip pellets & algae tabs in hopes to entice them.

I did 3 PWC w gravel cleaning in the past week for the parasite RX, so I should be all set now.

Everyone seems much better today except for the male sword. He's not eating. I put the teenage guppy in this 2 gal eclipse tank that I got at a yard sale, so she is no longer able to pick on anybody!

Back
Top Bottom