help sick fish What is this??? Color fading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeeptree

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK this fish has been fading in color for about 2-3 weeks when I got him he was a nice yellow like the one next to him. (to the right) and today I see he has this red dot on him iv never seen this before? It almost looks like a blood spot. I don't under stand what it is. none of the other fish look like they have anything wrong with them. any help would be great!

img_965065_0_ee617a38ab3b1ca4117cb695a069ef55.jpg

the red dot below
img_965065_1_b74b91f162d00499a1e9c0ceb9964677.jpg

img_965065_2_be9ead2bf02f97d5cf0a03adf7fff58c.jpg

This picture shows the fins if you look close it almost looks like fin rot!

In order to help we need more information. Answer these questions and we will have more of the information we need to help you.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently

OK as you can see from the pictures above the fish in question is a German Gold Ram the following info is my tank set up. All other fish show no signs of being sick or loss of color. this all started about 3 weeks ago when I notice that the one was losing color I didn't really think anything of it till he was almost transparent
The Setup:
55gl/ AquaClear 300 filter/ Marineland Visi-Therm Deluxe 300 watt heater/ Wisper 60 Aquarium Air Pump with three air stones and one 15" air strip/ One 18" Flora Sun Max Plant Growth, one 18" 15W Nutri Grow Plant Bulb.
Three live plants.
2 Albino Tiger Barb
2 Silver Rosy Barb
2 German Gold Ram
1 Rainbow Shark
2 Flame Dwarf Gourami I think?
1 Honey Dwarf Gourami
1 Powder Blue Gourami
1 Electric Blue Gourami
1 Pearl (Lace) Gourami
added with in the last week
1 Kribensis Cichlid under 1 1/2"
1 Long Fin Ancistrus

I did a water change last Thursday. all of the fish in the tank are still young none of them are over 2 1/2"
I tested the water today.
pH 7.0
ppm 80
hardness 120
nitrite 0
nitrate 20
I think that's about everything. once again any help would be great

Rams are usually pumped full of hormones to show their adult coloring at an earlier age. I don't know if this is the case with yours. Another possible cause is stress, looking at your list there is a lot of territorial fish.

The red dot has gone down in size but still has me scared. All the fish are acting fine including the ram inquisition, Its just the fading of color and this mysterious red dot. By the way The other ram is fine.

Back
Top Bottom