Help! sick gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blu3Shyft

Aquarium Advice Regular
one of the two gourami I bought from Petsmart this past friday (oct 11th) is looking pretty bad. He's had long stringy clear poops for most of the time, and has slowly been getting more and more listless, not really wanting to eat much. Today I noticed that his dark spots are almost black, while the rest of him has faded from a nice pale blue, to almost white. There looks like some brown...something... around his anal fin and moving up his sides, along with a couple whitish yellow bumps in the affected area. I have him separated from the rest of the tank, and so far nobody else seems to be having problems.

img_2688978_0_6a9e73f56ed380e91d20b3336c34b1e5.jpg

img_2688978_1_d50c67378edc51e18350cc46bc28573b.jpg

and here's a pic of his 'girlfriend' for color comparison. They used to be very similarly blue, with the spots being only a bit darker.
img_2688978_2_c5d6b3936803728fe997a7d92a62a5bb.jpg

Are you certain you have a male and female not two males? It's tough to see the "female" since its so blurred. Where is the sick one now? Is it in a separate tank or in a bag from the store?

I just had a dwarf gourami fro Petsmart die ... Looked like dropsy with mine.. My water was nearly perfect

Are you certain you have a male and female not two males? It's tough to see the "female" since its so blurred. Where is the sick one now? Is it in a separate tank or in a bag from the store?

I was as certain as I could be of the genders. The sick one was in a bag acclimating to the quarantine tank, but died before I could do anything else for him. Took the corpse back to petsmart and they said it was likely some fungus or something similar. other one is still doing fine in the big tank.

What size tank do you have? With gourami, it is recommended that you keep 2 females to every male. Of course you don't want to over stock your tank either. Once the newbie is settled, provided you have adequate space, get a second female. Once the male is mature, he will harass a single female endlessly. Having a second would allow him to have someone else to chase while the other rests.

What size tank do you have? With gourami, it is recommended that you keep 2 females to every male. Of course you don't want to over stock your tank either. Once the newbie is settled, provided you have adequate space, get a second female. Once the male is mature, he will harass a single female endlessly. Having a second would allow him to have someone else to chase while the other rests.

The tank is a 46 gallon bowfront. Only had the 2 gourami, and they were getting along fine, no picking on or biting. Either way, we're down to one now, and 'she' seems happy and friendly, even taking food directly from our hands.

Back
Top Bottom