Help!!!!!!!! Sick Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppy12

Aquarium Advice Activist
My brother has an oscar and he would be typing this but hes at camp....
Anyways and his ocsar (Fred) is sick.
He has a white fungus patch. It won't completly go away. he has a BIG patch on his Left and a small patch on his right. We bought him a year and a half ago. He is such a nice fish. He is in with a albino singalis bichir, 2 bala sharks, a feather fin synadonis, and a albino channel cat( soon to be hit'n the road to a pond) hes about 7"-8"...
Please help... i know the pics arnt perfect but he wasnt coperating ( he wanted the worm)

G12

Attachments

• freds_bad_side_011_201.jpg
    freds_bad_side_011_201.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 26
i talked to my bro... and he thinks it isnt fungus
the oscar has had it for a fare while and weve tried all kinds of medications and wont clear up

Ok, next questions are how big is the tank and what are the test results? What kind of filter are you using?

Fungus ussually can be cleared up with a good fungal med and keeping pristine water conditions. You might want to up your water changes.

I got a better pic... that cost alot of crickets to get it too. LOL But the oscar is in 180 gal. Every thing is fine except the NITRATES. We thought since oscars dont like plants thats from the decaying plant matter. It just spiked a couple days ago (sunday). We did water changes every day since then. He has be active and hungry. Its not fungus... 8)

Attachments

• freds_bad_side_932.jpg
    freds_bad_side_932.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 20
do a few pwc.
sounds like a reaction from poor water quality.
one more thing, what is the temperature? oscars are prone to more disease/infections when the temp is low.

79.5" farinheight
He has a rena Xp3 and 2 empoerer 400 and he has 3 airstones.
amonia-0
Nitrites-0
P.H.-7.6
Nitrates- off the chart

G12

You need to do 75% water changes everyday untill the nitrates are back on the chart. I think you have put your finger on the problem.

I know it's off topic but I see you realize that channel cats get huge. I know they can tolerate cold temps. but I don't know about Michigan. All I know is they can destroy a whole pond of livestock where they are not natural and are illegal in states like Arizona, Missouri and Oklahoma. Just be careful where you put it. I always heard about them in southern Canada but I dont know if they are native to Michigan, maybe you know.

Good luck with your Oscar. It may get better when you get your parameters to normal. Keep us updated.

on another note, stop feeding crickets and worms and live food and add a general shrimp/vegetable pellet to their diet if you haven't already.

Hello I'm the brother, thanks for all the feed back.

He has pellets that he gets in the morning and night w/ worms and crickets for dessert. I just did a 50% pwc. (can't do any more the hot water heater is only so big will do another tomarow) I will raise the temp. up to 82-83 thanks all.

Mike469- I don't think this is of topic at all, thanks for your comments and I do know channel cats get huge I already have a mature koi pond lined up for him to move to shortly. Also channels are native to MI and tolorate the temps. quight well.

Wow that is awesome that you have a pond bert. That is something I would like to venture into someday. Good Luck

I'm sorry I should of been clearer, it isn't my pond its one of my moms freinds. I have a pond though, its a 300 gal. (to small for the cat anyway) I just don't have the funds to set it up yet.

Well at least there is a big enough pond for the fish to go. That is responsible fish keepng!

Back
Top Bottom