Help!! Sick pregnant platy :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MommyMelzy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have all orange platy's in my tank. I have one platy who is currently pregnant and I was treating the tank for fin rot using Rid Fungus which turned out to be useless because I thought fin rot was a fungus but it's actually not. I was on day 3 of treating the tank with that when I had my water checked at Pet Smart and all tank levels were good. I switched medications to Marineland All in one Remedy and now my little lady looks like she is developing something on her that resembles cotton :( She is also swimming really weird. Today when I saw how rough she was looking I did a 100% water change because the water looked terrible having not had a filter in it for 7 days. I put 20mls of Cycle in, 10mls of Stress Coat, and 10mls of Waste Control. I also added a few more new plastic plants today so they had somewhere to hide.
I have a 20 gallon tank and I am using a Secondnature Whisper Power filter (not sure which model) with a carbon filter made by Aqua Tech.
There are about 10 fish in the tank...all different ages and I also have fry in a breeder tank (13) which are about a week old. The fish that are in this tank have all been born in this tank. I have never fed any of my fish anything other than TetraFin goldfish flakes.

Last edited:
Hi. Everyone makes that mistake when we are noobs, lol no worries i gotcha. (i did)
Bacterial infections in fish that result in fin rot are usually one of three Gram negative aerobic (breathes air) opporurnisitc (caused by stress or wound) bacteria. They are of the following genus
Aeromonas
Pseudomonas
Flexibacterium (columnare)

The best thing do do is to feed them one of the following antibiotics in their feed. You can buy and mix yourself or find a seller online or in a fishstore (oxytetracycline can sometimes be found in "antibiotic medicated food" in some fish family or specialty stores, but it is becoming less common. (thats how i got hooked on terramycin, i swear by it and i would probably take it myself at some point)
When you dump a powder antibiotic into Hard calcium rich water, it binds to the calcium and very little is taken in by the fish (remember fish dont drink water, they absorb it)
Sure powder antibiotics will work in a pinch, but its cheaper, more economical, tank fiendly, and MUCH more effective to simply buy some Oxytetracycline flake. I say that because it is a safe powerful synthetic Broad spectrum Gram + and Gram - antibiotic that is widely used in the commercial fish, and livestock industry (like chickens)
Apart from that (Oxytetracycline) these three antibiotics are also effective for the "fin rot, body fungus" type infection in fish
Kanamycin sul.
Minocycline
Triple Sulfa

Sometimes fish just get some gram + infected wound, and the Furan-2 that you have WILL work because it is a old gram + antibiotic with a anti-fungal (actually, its water mould, fungus is a mushroom) agent added.
Fungus (lets just call it that) does not EVER infect a healthy fish, there HAS to be a wound site because the fishes slime coat protects it from simple things like mould. If its skin is scratched or tail gets a tear and not enough blood supply, then yes it can, but It is ALWAYS bacteria first, the "fungus" simply eats the dead tissue as part of the natural biological cycle. Some people will say you need a antibiotic and antifungal combo, this is not true, as once the bacteria is clear, Simply keeping the water warm and clean will clear the "fungus"...
You can find (in the USA) antibiotic feed from angelsplus.com or kensfish.com
Google it and try ebay or a fish specialty store.
IDK if they have petsmart's and petcos's in canada, but they often will have Maracyn-2 (mionocycline) or Triple Sulfa (another old, slow, but effective antiboitic)
EDIT
Terramycin (oxytetracycline) is a synthetic antibiotic isolated from mould and will Never go bad.

Was the tank cycled? I wouldn't do 100% water changes because it will stress out the fish even more. I would do 20% water changes every other day.

Pet Smart here sells a product called T.C. Tetracycline made by API. Is that the same thing. It does come in a package of 10 powder packets. Also should I segregate her during treatment or is it safe for the other fish who aren't effected to ingest the medicine as well?

I thought i replied to this but maybe not.
No you need OXYtetracycline, kanamycin, or minocycline.
Moderator, please dont delete my post because its "too short"
I am spimply answering a question quickly. Look at the post i made above. im trying to help this person with a follow up question, thank you

Back
Top Bottom