HELP Tiny Bugs - Pinecone Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well - I think maybe ya'll can help with the bugs but not the pineconed betta at this point. They are about the size of a - well... a tiny tiny red/brown bug. 100's of them overrunning my 10 gallon tank.

I can't even begin to tell you all what I have been through with my Betta fish. He's (Nori) sitting here with me now in a cup of water. I am going to euthanize him. I cannot continue to contaminate every tool I own and take the risk of contaminating my other tanks and fish and beg for him to get better. It's been almost 3 weeks of fighting for a fish that was only healthy for maybe 3 weeks before that - I've had him for 6 weeks.

I feel terrible about it - but his tank is NOW overrun with bugs. I have tried antibiotics - water changes - immune boost (first aid for fish) - and begging. I just can't help him anymore.

He is pineconed. He is streaky. He is sick and hurting - I need to put him to sleep.

As for the bugs - how do I get them out of the tank now? It's disgusting. I would never put another fish in there.

Poor Nori :confused:

Maybe you could try a little salt in the water to kill the bugs ?! Sorry :( if not take everything out boil it and put only the fish into this new tank ... Try using some of the products out there to help cycle the "new" tank

Are there other fish in that tank? If not you could just break it down rinse everything in bleach water. That should kill everything. If there are other fish in the tank you could probably cut back on feeding and hopefully that will starve the bugs. Without knowing what type of bug, I can't recommend the proper treatment. If you can try to identify the bugs or maybe post a picture of them here and have some others try to help you identify them. Are they worms, water bugs, or maybe water fleas?

Thanks. No other fish in the tank. I am going to break it down Wednesday when I have time. It's a well established tank (2 years??) so it is time anyway. I'll get new gravel too... & sanitize the ornament. I think I'm going to buy a new aqueon changer. I'm too nervous to use it in my other tanks! Ugh! Sucks!

Oh, & there is no way I can get a good pic of these bugs! I swear they're reddish. Smaller than the head of a pin. They bunch together. And move on the glass & in the water. Ick.

Okay - I'm going to break down that tank tomorrow (Wednesday) I addd a bunch of salt, and RidIch and it seems as if the bugs are dying off. About 1/3rd as many as there were last night.

Nori is in the freezer. May he RIP. He had a rough life. Who knows how long he was at the pet store before I picked out this beauty.

I say that I will never have another Betta - BUT, my friend's neighbor breeds them. Why in all this time she never told me that (and I talk to her every day)? I don't know... Let me buy a sick one from the pet store and go through these frustrating weeks instead. Nori would have gone through it regardless... Sad.

Back
Top Bottom