Help to identify disease killing my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonicboom

Aquarium Advice Newbie

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Honey Gourami, harlequin rasbora. A number of other "unexplained" fish deaths. Fish appear to have swim bladder issues, and often develop sores on their side which seem to come from internally. I have also noticed "fungal" like strings on their side at wound. One fish (harlequin rasbora appeared to have something instead of poo which looked "fungal". All ill fish died within a day of when i first noticed the illness.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrites 0ppm, Nitrates 5-10ppm, pH 7.0

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
160l, 3 feet, a couple years

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Fluval U4 and sponge filter

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
Harlequin rasbora x 4 - mixed sizes
Corydoras melini x 6 - adult
Khuli loaches x approx 4+ - mixed sizes
Otos x 3 - mixed sizes
1 x Bristlenose pleco - adult

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
I have sand. Water changes weekly at 25%. Last water change 12 days ago due to treatment.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
6 months.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Flake, wafers and dried blood worm.

-----

I've tried bacterial and fungal treatments, parasite treatment, and aquarium salts. None seem to have worked. Currently have a honey gourami in a quarantine tank, but not sure what to treat it with.

Attachments

• 20200506_142854.jpg
    20200506_142854.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200506_132750.jpg
    20200506_132750.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200313_174412.jpg
    20200313_174412.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200406_101236.jpg
    20200406_101236.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 32
Thanks. I have treated them with a parasite treatment for the last two weeks. Is it worth trying a different type of parasite treatment?

The honey gourami died yesterday. Any advice on what i can treat my main tank with to avoid more deaths?

What types of treatments have you used so far and what level of aquarium salt? Bacterial / parasite treatments would be also what I would try so not sure we can do much.

Also is the tank temperature about the same? We argue locally but I generally find tank temperature increases / anything else that stresses fish does make the illness unrecoverable.

Last one is sounds like you are into triage. I used to try treating fish and still give it a go, but success rates are low. Any off looking fish is out of tank (although it’s planted so by the time I can catch them they are not great).

The tank temperature is always about 24C - 25C (75 - 77F).

-----

Treatments I've tried:

• Salt at only 0.5g per litre.

• eSHa 2000 - Ethacridine, Copper Sulphate, Proflavine Hemisulphate.

• Myxazin - Malachite Green, Acriflavine Hydrochloride

• Sterazin - Acriflavine, Malachite Green, Piperazine Formaldehyde

-----

Treatments I have and can try:

• Swimbladder Treatment - Bronopol, Formaldehyde, Benzalkonium chloride

• Pimafix - Pimenta racemosa

• eSHa-ndx - Levamisoli hydrochloridum

Hi, sorry for late reply. I’m guessing you are in the UK or Canada? Can you access any fish antibiotics at all?

I’ve tried a lot of those (in Australia where antibiotics for fish is difficult to get hold of) and they work ok but not great.

Back
Top Bottom