Help! Two dead fish--different species!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

figliaperduta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Two fish are dead: one Corydoras aeneus, and one Pterophyllum scalare--black lace veil angel. No visible symptoms prior to death, no signs of nipping, no growths, no visible bacteria/fungi.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
pH: 7.0
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm
Temp: 77 degrees Fahrenheit

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
Tank is 30 gallons, has held water for almost three months. Three swordtails added approx. one week after setup (all alive), three Cories and one Ancistrus (one Cory dead) added about five weeks later, and two angels (one dead) added about three weeks after that. All fish have been in tank for about three weeks, without previous incident.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Filter is Emperor 400, rated at 400 gph.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
Started with nine, seven remain.
Swordtails: Three. Male, pineapple, three inches. Two females, red wag, also three inches.
Cories: Started with three, two remain. Two are approx. two and a half inches, one of these died. One is approx. one and a half inch. He's still alive.
Ancistrus: One Blue Line male, approx. five inches.
Angelfish: Two black lace veil. One is approx. four inches from nose to tip of tail, still alive. Other was approx. three inches from nose to tip of tail, now dead.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Last water change and gravel vacuum was Saturday afternoon. This happens weekly. About 30-40% of water is changed each session. Prime is used as conditioner.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
See above. Acclimated by floating bag closed, 15 minutes. Then, open bag, add 5mL of tank water every five minutes until volume of water in bag has doubled. Then net fish, introduce into tank, discard water.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Swordtails and Angels recieve one feeding of Omega One flakes daily. Cories and Ancistrus eat tank algae/waste, and recieve a supplemental feeding of one Hikari Sinking Algae Wafer each Sunday morning.

Please help--this is very sudden! I honestly have no idea what could have caused this. When I found the angel dead, I thought perhaps that it was the sudden disease that sometimes strikes angelfish. But then I found the dead cory, so I doubt it was that, or else two different things struck my tank at the same time.

Like I said, no visible signs of anything, and the remaining fish appear perfectly healthy--as did the other two before they died! The LFS offers dissection services, so I've got the two dead ones in plastic bags in a paper bag in the fridge for overnight, and I'm taking them in tomorrow to see what they have to say. I'm just hoping I don't have parasites or something--that would be bad.

I'm prattling, now.

Thank you for any advice you may have for me.

Check out the dissection service(which is way cool!). Without any external signs, it's very hard to tell. If the fish showed no external signs it's kinda hard to even think they have parasites. You should see clinical signs then.

Sounds like you've done everything correct. Only thing I see slightly off is that your nitrates are zero, which it should not be. What kind of test kit are you using?

Let us know what they say. :)

According to the dissection, asphyxiation was cause of death for both, which makes sense: one was found adhered to the filter intake. So, we're thinking the problem is that the current going into the filter is too strong for the size of tank (Emperor 400 on a 30-gallon High). I've gotten a foam block and stuffed inside the intake which should reduce the current without also reducing filtration capacity--should increase it, actually, as it should host more bacteria.

At least it's an 'easy fix.' I just hate that I had to lose two fish to find this out.

As for the nitrates, everyone in chat last night was saying the same thing. TetraTest and Aquarium Pharmaceuticals both gave the same reading--I always double-test for accuracy. I know the tank cycled, because I got a nitrate spike, and then it went down shortly afterwards. No live plants, so I don't know what's going on. But...do nitrates serve any beneficial purpose? I was under the impression that they were harmless byproducts of the nitrogen cycle, better than ammonia and nitrites but not really doing anything unless in high concentrations.

Do correct me if I'm wrong, though...

You are correct. Nitrate forms as the byproduct of ammonia and the nitrogen cycle. Your fish constantly excrete ammonia and form ammonia, so that is why you should normally see nitrate that climbs in between water changes.

Back
Top Bottom