Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Unhappy HELP!!! very unhappy fish

Last week I went out and I spotted a beautiful female Beta I had to take her home to put in my tank with my tetras, sword tail, guppies and black moores and.......... My other Female Beta (she is a very quiet fish) - and unfortunately the two females DO NOT like each other AT ALL they fight and then hide and fight and hide I dont know what to do they are very unhappy but I cant part with either of them but i want to resolve them what do I do? I feel so heplless

PLEASE HELP ME

Old 04-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

Is this in the tank specified in your profile? If so, it is because the tank is seriously overstocked. The goldfish alone need a 30 gallon tank and they do not do well in a warm water community. Is a good reason to get a new, much larger, tank though. Yay!

Old 04-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just as you cannot keep male bettas in the same tank, you cannot keep females in the same tank. Female sororities can be done successfully, but you need a lot more females, in a species only tank, and it's rare that it works. It worked for me because I had the experience, but I still wouldn't recommend it.

You need to return the new female.

You also have a poorly stocked tank. You shouldn't keep tropicals (warm water fish) in with goldfish (cool water fish). I suggest you research each species to see what the temperature range is.

What size tank and what's in it? I can't see the aquarium info.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I thought so I really didnt want to have to take her back.
I have searched all the fish recommended temperature Black moores can be in warmer water than other goldfish the tank is at 23'C all my fish are either 20-26 degress so I thought it was fine for the black moores i have had them for a while and they are fine so far. do you really think I should take them out?
Old 04-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What size tank do you recomend for the amount of fish I have?
Old 04-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

23c is @73f- which is fine for the moors but not the other fish which are tropical. How many moors are there? Fancies need 20g for the first fish, an additional 10g for each fish after minimum plus filtration that is 10x the tank size.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

only two and I dont know how much a gallon is can you convert to Littres for me?
Old 04-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

2 moors would need a 30g tank with 300gph filtration- its approximately 115litres/1150 litres per hour filtration
Old 04-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp_goldie_123
only two and I dont know how much a gallon is can you convert to Littres for me?
10g is 40L. I posted in your other thread.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

And the other fish will be fine with that as well?
Old 04-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

The two moors need at least a 30g with no other fish. The tropicals really need their own home with a heater because they have different needs for temp & diet.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com