Help! White Fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CcJ23

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have noticed some white fungus on some guppies I had after they died (presumably of old age or stress from birthing). I didn't think anything of it until I realized how quickly it came on! They died and by the time I noticed, the fungus already had a good start. Now it looks like some of my live guppies have a little bit on them. I have seen ick and I know it's not that, but what could it be??? I can't get a good picture because my camera isn't good enough to snap it (very small amount on live fish). Their tail fins are also deteriorating a little bit, which I originally thought was just fin nipping. Could that be the same thing? Please help before I lose all my guppies! :( What can I do!!?!?!

Water Parameters (Test Strips) :
Nitrate:40ppm
Nitrite: .5-1ppm
Hardness: 300 GH
Chlorine:0-.5ppm
Alkalinity:40-80KH (inbetween)
pH: 6.2-6.8
Ammonia: .5ppm

P.S. There are pesty snails and it is over planted if that makes a difference.

In in established tank you should have NO ammonia and NO nitrite.

Have you recently set up this aquarium? Or cleaned the filter? you might be going through a cycle.

I've seen white fluffy fungus on dead fish before as well, but I'd think its typically a few days after death. Its possible the dead guppy was hiding in all those plants?

Raise the temp gradually, (I can't remember what guppies will tolerate... someone should confirm what temp you need) and treat with an anti-fungal medicine for a full treatment (follow instructions) try and avoid anything with copper, it'll melt your plants and stunt your filter bacteria. Also do 30-50% water changes daily until the ammonia/nitrite = 0

your nitrates are a tad high too, considering you have a heavily planted tank. You might be over feeding. (which would also explain the snail outbreak... too much food!)

It's an "established" tank supposedly. And no on the hiding in the plants thing. I noticed they weren't doing well one day(I assumed old age) and the next, they were dead and covered in fungus. When I lost a younger fish, I started to get worried.

**Another thing I've noticed; the females and some small males aren't displaying their tail fin at all. It looks like they are keeping it compressed inwards kinda. Scrunched up if you know what I mean?

It's an "established" tank supposedly. And no on the hiding in the plants thing. I noticed they weren't doing well one day(I assumed old age) and the next, they were dead and covered in fungus. When I lost a younger fish, I started to get worried.

**Another thing I've noticed; the females and some small males aren't displaying their tail fin at all. It looks like they are keeping it compressed inwards kinda. Scrunched up if you know what I mean?

You are describing 'clamped fins" I believe....read this Fish Diseases - Signs of Stress and Disease in Tropical Fish and Goldfish.

Well I did something unthinkable tonight. I did a 75% water change, but I stand by my decision. The fish seem to be taking it well. I also trimmed the plants dont to about 25% the tank height instead of 100% :lol:. I found even more fry in there than I even realized I had. Hopefully they will be ok.

New Water Parameters:
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Hardness (GH): 150 - 300 ppm (inbetween)
Chlorine:0ppm
Alkalinity (KH): 120 - 180 ppm
pH: 6.8-7.2
Ammonia : 0-.5 ppm (Surprises me with that much new water. Maybe a bad test strip or a bad patch of water)

Any help or words would be appreciated.

Don't be afraid of large water changes. You will want to get a liquid test kit soon because the strips are not very accurate. I would do another smaller water change tomorrow until you see your ammonia zero too. Don't change your filters so you don't loose any beneficial bacteria.

Alright, now I really need a solution! I've lost numerous fish and have been medicating the tank to no avail. I have done PWC almost everyday and fish are still dying. I am treating with API Pimafix and Kordon Rid Ick Plus, even though I don't think it's ick. I heard there is some guppy fungal disease that starts with a "C". I think it might be that. It's weird if I see any food on the bottom, within a couple days the food it white and fuzzy. Does this have to do with it? Please help! I need to know if there is a solution for this so I can fix it!

I think the white stuff you are seeing may be slime coat. Have you tested your levels? The may be dying because of ammonia and nitrite levels. Your tank in not cycled yet it needs water changes everyday probably. I would stop medicating the tank. It is stressing your fish even more. Get your water healthy and things will improve.

My betta has a fungus that sounds like that. I'm treating mine with kanaplex. Its been working great but the fungus isnt totally gone yet. Does it look anything like this? Bad photo I know. P.S are you talking about collumunaries?

ForumRunner_20121211_175548.jpg

My betta has a fungus that sounds like that. I'm treating mine with kanaplex. Its been working great but the fungus isnt totally gone yet. Does it look anything like this? Bad photo I know. P.S are you talking about collumunaries?

It's too hard to tell from the picture, but it might be that.

I think the white stuff you are seeing may be slime coat. Have you tested your levels? The may be dying because of ammonia and nitrite levels. Your tank in not cycled yet it needs water changes everyday probably. I would stop medicating the tank. It is stressing your fish even more. Get your water healthy and things will improve.

The tank has been up and running for a year. How can it not be cycled?

The tank has been up and running for a year. How can it not be cycled?

Have you been doing lots of giant water changes lately or not doing enough of them? Also I know you posted your ph but if you've recently expirianced a ph crash this could explain this. Below 7.0 the nitrogen cycle doesnt work and that could cause a stall in your cycle. You may be expiriancing a mini cycle.

Have you been doing lots of giant water changes lately or not doing enough of them? Also I know you posted your ph but if you've recently expirianced a ph crash this could explain this. Below 7.0 the nitrogen cycle doesnt work and that could cause a stall in your cycle. You may be expiriancing a mini cycle.

It may be a mini-cycle. I have been doing a lot of water changes recently. I haven't monitored the pH enough to observe a spike. Besides, these darn test strips are so inconsistent.

It may be a mini-cycle. I have been doing a lot of water changes recently. I haven't monitored the pH enough to observe a spike. Besides, these darn test strips are so inconsistent.

I'd keep a monitor on your levels and just change the water accordingly. Keep your ammonia and nitrite levels at zero. Its happened to me too lol.

Alright thanks. I will update with how things go. So you think I should stop medicating?

Thars a hard call to make. I'm not an expert on antibiotics. I've only ever used a few medications before. My best guess would be to call the company or companies and ask them.

Back
Top Bottom