Help with Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apotocki

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok...I've had my 70 gallon up and stocked for about 6 months now. All is fine with my fish and water quality. I've encountered no problems over the past 4 months or so and I'm doing weekly 30% water changes and a light gravel vac about every other week.

My question/problem is with my Angels. I have 5 - 2 Black Marble, 2 Pearl, and 1 mixed white/black. They are all mature and probably measure 6 inches top/bottom. 4 of them have paired up (2 pairs) and I do have 1 pearl that is the 'odd man out'. The pairs have become very territorial, with one pair occupying one end of the tank with the other pair occupying the other. Both pairs have layed eggs over the past month - which is really a neat thing, but they only last a couple days before being eaten as I really don't have the ability to separate and breed Angels. The pairs have become very agressive towards each other, and it seems like they are always meeting in the middle of the tank, bristling, and making a run at each other (mainly the black marbles even though they were the first Angels I bought and appeared to be close friends until introducing the other 3). They seem to continously do this......and.....my relaxing, peaceful tank has turned into constant bickering and light fighting.

Do I have ANY other choice other than getting rid of some (or all of the Angels)????? My first though is to get rid of 3 of them and only maintain 1 pair.....but.....I really like having them in the tank as they are my only large fish. Any suggestions? My current stocking is as follows:

5 previously mentioned Angels
14 Rasbora's
6 Rummynose Tetra's
2 Blue Rams
2 Clown Laoches
3 Siamese Algae Eaters
3 Cory's
1 Gold Nugget Pleco

Unfortunately this is the situation when it comes to cichlids - this behavior is very natural and there is not much you can do about it. I had the same situation in my 55 and it turned into a disaster eventually, though it worked for a while with the two pairs occupying the opposite ends of the tank.

You can skip the drama and just remove all but one pair, and that will likely work just fine for a good long while. I think one pair is all that will work, based on your description of their behavior. I am surprised "odd man" has survived as long as he has, but the size of the tank has helped in that regard. You might try just removing him, and see if each pair keeps to their "corners" but I am not optimistic it will work out long-term.

You could alternatively get a couple of tanks around 29 gallons (tall) and put a pair in each if you want to keep all of the fish, leaving odd man to reign supreme in the 70.

Back
Top Bottom