Help with ICH in a community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turbovr6

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,
I just noticed what looks like a bad outbreak of ich in my tank. My plecos and clowns have no spots(from what I can see), but my danios are covered, my pink gourami is covered, my blue and gold gouramis have a few spots.
Whats the best way to treat this variety of fish? I just spent an hour reading, but it's hard to figure out what to do with so many different typs of fish.
I'm going to do a gravel vac and 50% water change, then start raising the temp. Should I attempt any meds? go buy a UV Sterilizer?
It's a well established tank, most of the fish are over 2years old. water parameters are good, I keep the tank clean, and at 80 degrees.
Not sure what happened, but this is my first ich breakout!!!
I'll try and get some pics, but I'm sure it's ich.

No meds just heat will work just fine. Get the temp up to 87, for severe outbreak 1-2 degrees every 6 hours. Keep temps up there for 2 weeks after the last spot of ich is gone. Add an airstone or lower the water level a bit for extra aeration.

I can't get great pictures but if you look at the fins you can see the white dots.
img_841351_0_9db2c4a769398565b283521eff1c3b1c.jpg

img_841351_1_36c778ae130e3a87513b1736aff2792d.jpg

img_841351_2_9edc982bd8daf2d1b7bd1dc6a1fc3112.jpg

Ouch, you can also add garlic guard to their frozen food, this will help their immune systems. Soak it for 20-30 minutes.

http://aquafacts.net/index.php?option=com_mambowiki&Itemid=50

this link should take you to a nice wiki on fish. Sorry I can't seem to link directly to the ich article but it is easy to find under fish disease. Regardless of the treatment you choose I would read this article. Very good information on the life cycle of ich and various treatments out there. I am partial to the heat and salt method.

And at this point assume all your fish have ich and treat as such. those that aren't showing signs soon will.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. It's now day 3 since I discovered the ICH. I checked the temp in all 4 corners, lower, mid and upper water levels. The tank is 87.5-88 degrees. Water level is just below the spraybar, turned the airstone flow to max, and have vaccumed the tank every day.
How long should it take before I can tell if the heat only method is working? 2 of the 5 clowns have a few spots, the pink gourami and danios have less spots than 2 days ago. So far the blue and yellow gouramis, my big 14" pleco and baby gold nugget have not shown any spots at all*crossing fingers*

Thanks....

any opinions on diatom filters and UV sterillizers? A co-worker who left the hobby gave them to me a few months ago but I forgot all about them. Never used either before. Seems like a good idea from what I have been reading.

UV should help, diatom probably not. Continue any treatment for at least 1 week after the last sign of ich. If you don't know why then go to the link I posted earlier to do a little research.

The diatom won't be of any help. Leave the heat up for at least two weeks after the last sign of ich is gone. Then slowly bring it back down.

Back
Top Bottom