Help with my angelfish please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huskerbroncofan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My angelfish won't eat for 5 days now! His poo is white and stringy. Water perimeters are good no or very little ammonia. Tried enticing him with brine shrimp yesterday and didn't bite. Today I tried little pieces of beef heart the mushy stuff from the inside of peas mixed with garlic juice and he just watched it go by his face. Thought he was stressed from the bullying of another angelfish but we sent that one back to the store 4 days ago. Have 3 other angels that my girlfriend picked up on that same day and they are all ok. Have 1 Molly and 4 glow fish as well. 120 gallon tank. Sump set up. I had two angels die a couple of weeks ago with the same symptoms! They starved to death. The edges of their top fins were withering away. I think they died of ammonia poisoning. Now I test my water 2 times a week and do 25 percent water change every Saturday. I tested it yesterday and was yellow. Nitrates and nitrites are good as well. I am baffled and don't want to see another fish die by my hands.

What are your nitrites?

There are no safe levels of ammonia.

If you can put him in quarantine, that's probably your best bet. Try the pea mixture again with garlic and add frozen bloodworms. (defrost them)

I would try moving the fish to another tank and see what happens. If other fish are bothering him causing him not to eat, being in another tank alone will solve that. Once the fish is eating and regains it's strength, you can try to reintroduce him back into the main tank.
Another possibility is that the fish has internal issues ( ie intestinal worms or other parasites.) The only way to know for sure is to treat ( in a bare bottom tank) with meds such as PraziPro or API's General Cure to kill the parasites and watch for them to be expelled. Follow up with Kanamycin ( Seachem Kanaplex) to ward off any secondary infections. This med is absorbed through the skin so the fish does not have to eat in order to be medicated.
Since it has happened to other fish as well, I would try isolating first keeping the new tank a little warmer as the fish is obviously under stress at the moment so the warmth might help sooth things. Sadly, it's a 50/50 gamble which to do first. In a weakened state, survival is iffy at best.

Hope this helps (y)

My angelfish won't eat for 5 days now! His poo is white and stringy. Water perimeters are good no or very little ammonia. Tried enticing him with brine shrimp yesterday and didn't bite. Today I tried little pieces of beef heart the mushy stuff from the inside of peas mixed with garlic juice and he just watched it go by his face. Thought he was stressed from the bullying of another angelfish but we sent that one back to the store 4 days ago. Have 3 other angels that my girlfriend picked up on that same day and they are all ok. Have 1 Molly and 4 glow fish as well. 120 gallon tank. Sump set up. I had two angels die a couple of weeks ago with the same symptoms! They starved to death. The edges of their top fins were withering away. I think they died of ammonia poisoning. Now I test my water 2 times a week and do 25 percent water change every Saturday. I tested it yesterday and was yellow. Nitrates and nitrites are good as well. I am baffled and don't want to see another fish die by my hands.

Tetras dont go good with Angel fish since they can be nippy and also if it's young and stressed from fighting for dominance or the tetras they tend not to eat. I got a small marble angel but it was the smallest so she starved herself to death. It happens but maybe take the tetras and put them in a separate tank since you probably got tricked with the old "it's fine they will get along!" Not true also most blowfish are tetras good luck with your tank!

First off if he is getting bullied you need to separate. Can you post pictures of the fish? Does he have holes in his head by chance or small pitting?

Spironculous vortens is often a culprit in many cichlids. It's an internal parasite that when becomes systematic is can be deadly. Only way to truely know what parasite is plaguing your fish is to get a stool sample under a microscope.

My green terror was suffering from something. I tried finding a local vet to test his feces, clear and stringy. He started to refuse to eat too. I couldn't find a vet to do it.

Decided to buy a microscope and do it myself. Internet is amazing resource and I was able to identify the parasite. But it wasn't a. Vortens.

Turned out he was plagued with capillaria worms and eggs and larva. The medication of choice for this and many other worm type parasites is levamisole. Treatment was super easy and he is reconfirm amazingly well.

Point is you don't know what your dealing with unless you can properly id it. Medicating blindly is a waste of money and time as well as makes your fish weaker if you missed your mark.

You for the is a.vprten you need metronidazole and he needs to eat it. Otherwise you will lose the battle.

Excess metro can cause kindney, liver, and other major organ damage as well as weaken fish immune system.

Levamisole is pretty safe and works quickly. Might be worth doing a treatment and see if his hunger bounces back. 2ppm is the dosage for 24 hours with lights off for the whole time. Then perform a big water change like 80%. Make sure to do a big water change before too.

Wait 3 days after treatment before you start feeding, medication will be in his system.for up to 3 days and he will be shacky untill it's done.

My apisto recently had very similar symptoms, he would try and eat but always spit out the food and he had long white poop. Through research I thought he may have had hexamita so I treated with API which contains metronidazole. I was told metronidazole would cure him. It's only been a few days since I completed the treatment but he started eating right away and looks healthy.

The only real way to know if he is cured of the parasite is to have a fecal sample examined for parasites. Otherwise there could still be some.remaining only to come back at a time of stress or weakened immune system

Back
Top Bottom