Hideous Genetics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, here's a question for mainly Betta folks. I've kept several Bettas, but I have one in particular that has had a fin rot multiple times. It seems like he is just severely prone to fin rot. Anything that changes in his tank causes it. When I first got him (a year ago) I didn't have a heater :facepalm: and he got fin rot. I dosed Maracyn 2 for the recommended period and he started to improve. Then the vicious cycle started. I finally got him stable for a while, then I got cyanobacteria and had to break down his tank. I went a head and set his tank up as a NPT since the tank was also having algae issues. Of course he gets fin rot, but with plenty of PWC's he is back to normal. Now, I took the filter off the tank (which he didn't really need since it is an NPT) to cycle my Nana and Papaw's tank. Guess what, I saw some fin rot and some slightly bloody margins on his fins. I don't get it, I keep his tank is heated (76*-78*) and I was using blackwater extract for a while. Should I go back to using the blackwater extract to see how it goes? This time it isn't anything awful, just a little spot on one of his rays. Unfortunately there is part of his caudal fin that has never grown back and every time I see it I feel like a loser. Do you think that he just has bad genetics, because he just seems incredibly susceptible to fin rot or is it something else. What should I try doing to help my friend.

What is NPT?

Raise the temp a little- I keep my bettas at 80 and it really helps any little nick or tear heal quickly. Also, though some folks don't suggest using aquarium salt unless it is needed, I would put a small dose (like half of what they suggest on the box) and see if that helps him out.

Also, I don't much like adding unnecessay chemicals and just use prime for water changes, when anyone has a fin issue I do use the novaqua plus which has something for their slime coat. I honestly don't know if it makes a difference but it makes ME feel better!

Depending in what NPT means - I would put the filter back in unless the flow was too strong for him... What is your water change schedule?

I don't use salt in my tanks, period; unless I got an ich outbreak. I may try putting in one of my extra heaters though I think it is a bit large for a 5g.

NPT is a Natural Planted Tank, just google Diana Walstad tank or Natural Planted Tank. it is a type of planted aquarium that uses a soil substrate and low to moderate lighting, moderate to heavy planting, and very infrequent PWC's. I will do PWC's if he has fin issues (like right now), but if he is doing okay I just leave the tank alone. It is hard to explain the whole NPT system really.

The filter wasn't too strong, but the NPT system does not require a filter.

It could be a genetic thing, or just something that is in the water. Fin rot can be annoying, especially in low-maintenance setup. One other option is to keep a very low level of salt in the tank. I know you have plants, and I have no idea what a safe threshold level is of salt, but if you are willing to mess with it, it is the best thing to cure and keep fin rot at bay.

I just don't know what the problem is. It will go away for a while, then as soon as something changes or needs changed he will get fin rot. I may just try heating the water up a little higher and adding some blackwater. I don't have any aquarium salt on hand so that is not an option for right now. Hopefully I can get him over it. I still don't understand why some of his fin has never grown back. I guess he will always bear the scars of fin rot. :bawl:

Back
Top Bottom