High Ammonia - Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadameFizzgig

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.

I'm a pretty new fish owner, and I didn't know about a lot of the things that were necessary to do for a healthy fish tank (like most newbies). I came here because the people on the other forum I went to have been less than helpful.

So, here's the story.

I bought a Violet Goby from a less than reputable place. They gave me all the wrong advice, and luckily I did some research because some of the things they told me weren't adding up. This fish WAS living in a highly crowded completely freshwater tank with no substrate or hiding places at all. I did not know about tank cycling when I got him, so now I have to do a fish-in cycle. He's about 4in long, and I have him temporarily in a 5G tank (I know, not ideal. I'll be upgrading soon.)

Anyway, I've had him for about a week and a half now. The ammonia levels in his tank are high, but I've been doing 2 20% water changes a day (about 12 hours apart) to try and lower them. He was going to the surface in the beginning, but since I started doing the water changes he has pretty much stopped doing that. He has been eating well also, so I think that's a good sign.

I'm slowly raising the SG in his tank to 1.010, this should help him as well because he'll be living in his native brackish water. When I change the water, I change a little under a gallon. I do dechlorinate the water every time I do this. I have also been adding a few drops of beneficial bacteria to the new water every time I change it. Some people have said that it's unnecessary, but others have said it's smart to do, so I don't know.

Is there anything else that I could be doing for this little guy? He certainly seems to be doing much better than he was, but I want to be sure I'm doing all I can.

Thanks!

You can use a product like prime or amquel plus which neutralizes ammonia with every water change but will not "stop" the cycle, its good for just use as a normal declorinator too, many people use it as such.

You can use a product like prime or amquel plus which neutralizes ammonia with every water change but will not "stop" the cycle, its good for just use as a normal declorinator too, many people use it as such.

Where would I get these products, and how expensive are they? Is it possible to continue with what I am doing without damaging my goby?

You can get prime at most pet stores and any fish store. Its a little pricey, but you only need a little bit like 2 drop per gallon

Back
Top Bottom