High Death Count: Can't Figure It Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

locked word

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have never had such hard luck as I have with the tank I set up in January. I have lost many many fish.

Over the weekend, I had a serious massacre in my tank - I lost all 5 of my penguins, 4 neons, my cardinal, and now an endler.

There IS NO VISIBLE SIGN OF ILLNESS on any of these fish with the exception of one penguin who's scales were frayed on his back.

My Amonia and Nitrites are testing at 0.0 - my PH is around 7.2, temperature is 81-82.

The only thing that has changed is that one of the plants I bought has introduced snails to the tank, which I have been exercising population control on.

Please, please - any advice will be much appreciated!

What's your nitrAte reading, and how often do you PWC?

What do you use for a dechlorinator?

How did you cycle? Since this is a fairly new tank, we should look at your original setup of things.

With the ammonia and nitrites at 0 we have to assume the tank is cycled, at this point. As mentioned above, perhaps you need to look at water change regimen. You might consider lowering the weter temp by a few degrees also. In my experience, lower temps (within reason) equate to fewer problems. The oxygen content is higher and bacterial growth is slower. At this point, there is clearly something amiss, but you may not find what it is. Any of us that have been in the hobby, for any langth of time can probably relate stories of mysterious deaths, with no symptoms. I'm experiening it right now with some pencilfish, that just drop dead with no symptoms. When I see something is amiss, I do a 50% water change, right away, even if there has been a recent change. I never change less than 50%, actually. Other than water changes, it is difficult to treat unknown ailments.

Thanks for these responses, I realize I am not exactly providing a lot of info. The readings are literally 0.0 on both Nitrite and Amonia.

One thing I did not mention but might have in the previous post: besides the whitish spot on the back of only ONE of the penguins who died, many bodies were missing their stomachs. Could this be hungry fish, or some clue to the root cause?

One more observation: my spotted corydora has taken on a slight yellow hue.

These are the steps I have taken this evening:
* Lowered temperature - 1 degree.
* 35% H20 change.
* Left inches at the top for even more surface agitation (even though I have an air stone).
* will be adding salt - haven't decided whether I will remove the corydoras to the hospital tank so that I can use full salt treatment, or whether to use a moderate dose for the full tank.....

*sigh* Hopefully things will only get better from here.
I am very sad to have lost so many beautiful fish.

When you said population control on the snails, what exactly did that involve? Are you adding a product to kill the snails, and if so, which one?

Hi, No chemicals - just removing them as I see them, and removing egg globs as I see them too. Eventually when I am more certain things are stable in the tank I am going to try to lure some out with cucumber or other tasty treat. I am reluctant to put chemicals in my tank now that I am learning that there always seems to be a more natural way to address issues that come up.

Back
Top Bottom