HIGH PH and Stumped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenTown

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gal freshwater tank that I've had for 25 years. My 24 yr old Pleco and a little small worm/catfish type of fish (mom gave me), is all i have in it right now. The PH has been high for about a month and I have tried about everything. PH Down, 5 gal water changes every 3 days, drift wood , peat moss, cleaned the 2 year old filter system and brand new filters. My pleco has a dark spot on him about the size of a dime, which I am sure is from the PH. He is not doing well. I have well water that is hooked to a water softener. It's been the same water as long as I've had the tank. I've even took all the ornaments out. I am lost on what to do??

Just wondering if the water softener is still working ok?

And if any ph / gh / kh readings before and after water softener plus in tank. I’m guessing that if you have removed any carbonate sources in your tank then it’s the source water used in water changes.

The water softener seems to be working fine Ans it’s been in for years. Nothing really new there. When you say removed carbonate sources, are you saying pull the filters out and see if that makes a difference? Thank you so much for the response.

Back
Top Bottom