HITH/HLLE Not Gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anachrotech

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had thought that my Dempsey was recovered from HITH/HLLE, but I don't think I was correct. After clearing my algae bloom, I found that he wasn't eating. Though, to be honest, his appetite may have been decreasing without my noticing (and leftover food contributed to the bloom). Initially, I thought this was due to the stress of not being behind "the green wall". He does appear to have a slight bulge on his left side. (pic attached) I have NOT seen any stringy poop, or much if any poop from him when I vacuum the tank. Plenty of pleco poop though. Now thinking about it, and combined with his lack of appetite, he may be on a downward spiral.:(
That said, the more I read about HITH, the more I'm inclined to think he has HLLE. He never had pits with discharge, which I read is indicative of HITH. I feel just so ignorant.
I may pick up some Metro today, but I've read it is ineffective with HLLE. I seek advice in treatment as my success rate with aquarium meds hovers right around 0. He is in a 36g tank with a pleco and two snails. Since I don't have a quarantine tank I'll have to treat the whole. I assume I have to remove the snails - can they be okay in some other container for the duration? Will this kill the bb in the filter? I don't know what to do. I don't want to just throw stuff at him and hope something works - that usually causes more damage than anything. Perhaps just removing the carbon from the filter?
I want to do this right and knock that cr@p out for good.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h83/lzaremski/Pets/MrDempsey_zpsf8a0065e.jpg
Tank parameters: ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, PH 7.6, Temp 78F

Last edited:
I am not a cichlid expert but your fish definitely appears to have HITH. If he is not eating, metro-based food will not help (best option) but you can try metro tank treatment. It should be dosed daily for 10-14 days following a large wc with temperature matched, properly conditioned water. Snails should be removed to another location and I would honestly remove the pleco as well and increase the salinity to .1% (3.8 grams per gallon). If he can not be removed, do not increase the salinity.

As HITH/LLE treatments are more theory than fact, your best bet is a broad spectrum approach. Remove any carbon, treat with metro, improve your water conditions/wcs/maintenance and make sure they are species-specific, rule out any possible stray electrical charges, minimize stress and make sure his diet is as nutritious as possible. The most success people generally have is covering all bases but I would place water quality and diet at the top of the list of causative health issues (this applies to all fish, not just cichlids). Please ask any questions!

Water quality is not good and the diet is not either. I'm guessing the tank is too small and/or overstocked. Large frequent water changes and a good diet is the only cure meds will do nothing but waste your money and time. After a few months this will go away if you do the required water changes. He will always be more susceptible to getting it now though.

Back
Top Bottom