Hole in head Oscar :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamadera

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone

Here are the specs

1. Oscar ~6" hole in head
2. All within normal limits except ph. First test shows max (7.6) the I do the high pH one and that show 7.4-7.8.
3. 125g. 2 month ago transitioned from 55g that was up for 5months.
4. 2x Cascade 1000
5 4 convicts, 1 Oscar 6", 2 jack Dempsey 4", 1 RTC 8"
6. Today, every 1-2 weeks 30-40%
7. Had all fish about 6-7mo. Got them all small at same time.
8. When move to 125g I haven't used gravel. Recent addition was concrete house for catfish. I soaked and scrubbed for several hours.
8. Cichlid pellets AM, shrimp PM.

My best guess is concrete might be issue or no gravel...

Thank you for your time.

IMG_0600.jpgIMG_0601.jpgIMG_0602.jpg

Thats the problem. Its the main cause of hold in head. I am not expert about Oscars as had them for a little while only. But what I know for sure that feeding them live food can cause hole in the head disease.

I hope someone else can give u a solution.

Thats the problem. Its the main cause of hold in head. I am not expert about Oscars as had them for a little while only. But what I know for sure that feeding them live food can cause hole in the head disease.

Hmm wow didn't even think of that.

How does live food cause hole in head? The main cause is actually hexamita.

I don't know much. I did read and from expert shopkeepers. They say when Oscars are fed live fish this can happen. So says the Internet.

From what I understand, hexamita is pretty common and very often hangs out not causing any problems until a fish is stressed out. Once the fish is stressed, the parasite gets stronger and prevents the fish from absorbing nutrients, and then the lesions form.

Delicious, Huh?

I can't speak to the substrate or lack thereof, but working on keeping your water quality up is the best way to prevent hole in head. Oscars actually need meat, so don't stop giving him meat. Malnourishing will not help him get better.

I don't know much. I did read and from expert shopkeepers. They say when Oscars are fed live fish this can happen. So says the Internet.
Okay. I understand. Live food is often riddled with disease and parasites because nobody takes good care of the feeders. Frozen food is great, though. Oscars are carnivores. Cutting out meat would kill them.

Nirbhao is correct: Heximita is the most common cause of Hole-in-head disease. The issue with live feeder fish is possible parasites. Also, common feeders, like goldfish, have a higher concentration of fats and oils that an oscar's system is designed to process. Remember, they're tropical fish and used to eating other tropical fish and other organisms. If you want to treat your oscar, try earthworms, crickets, krill, or mini shrimp. Just please buy the earthworms or crickets from a pet store. Wild caught specimens may have been exposed to herbicides and pesticides, which can transfer to your fish. Stay away from feeder fish, beef heart, ect. Also, make sure you feed these as a treat only, a few times per week. They - like humans - need a balanced diet, with plenty of veggies. Too much protein can cause health issues.
Before you treat with meds, try a 50% water change twice weekly. Oscars prefer nearly pristine water, and if water quality goes down, they stress easily. If you don't see improvement within 2-3 weeks, or the condition worsens, then you can try medication.

My angelfish had hole in the head , I gave him metro flakes and antibiotics from my vet , he recovered for about 8 months then it struck again, sadly he didn't recover the second time, he came from a very bad home who neglected him for years, and I had him for 5 years , I really hope you can get him sorted.

Personally I'd set about treating the hole in the head before it gets any worse .. I had the metro flakes shipped to me from America as we don't have anything like that here..

Hello everyone

Here are the specs

1. Oscar ~6" hole in head
2. All within normal limits except ph. First test shows max (7.6) the I do the high pH one and that show 7.4-7.8.
3. 125g. 2 month ago transitioned from 55g that was up for 5months.
4. 2x Cascade 1000
5 4 convicts, 1 Oscar 6", 2 jack Dempsey 4", 1 RTC 8"
6. Today, every 1-2 weeks 30-40%
7. Had all fish about 6-7mo. Got them all small at same time.
8. When move to 125g I haven't used gravel. Recent addition was concrete house for catfish. I soaked and scrubbed for several hours.
8. Cichlid pellets AM, shrimp PM.

My best guess is concrete might be issue or no gravel...

Thank you for your time.

View attachment 293491View attachment 293492View attachment 293493
Ok I'm sorry but the red tail catfish needs to be rehomed immediately they get 4feet+ so they need at least 500+ gallons

Back
Top Bottom