Hole in my Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreaknyc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey There--

So I have a 75 gal freshwater planted tank. I have been away for several months, almost a year, and came back and the tank is remarkably in not so horrible shape. I was back several times throughout the year and did water changes. I know this is absolutely not the idea situation, but I had to be out of the country for work.

That said, I came back and the plants are still fine and the fish for the most part were totally fine. A few casualties, but all the ones in the tank were great! I have 2 Large Angels, 3 clown loaches, 2 plecos, 3 red-eye tetras and a couple of algae eaters.

However, a few days ago, I woke up and noticed that one of the angels has a hole (about the size of a pea) in it's side. It's not bleeding and there's not mucus or puss emerging. Also, he appears totally normal. Same behavior and he's eating just fine. That said, I'm not sure if he was attacked overnight? Or if it's something bacterial? If so? How do I treat it without killing off the other fish or plants?

Any advice would help. Thanks for any insight!

um... who feeds the tank when you are not there?

to treat the angel you need to put him in a separate QT tank preferably and treat with antibacterial meds.

I have a house sitter. It's obviously not the ideal situation, but work called. So Melafix is not an option?

Melafix and primafix can help but with an ulcer you will still have to Dose huge amounts and you may not want to spend the $ to dose the entire tank. A 10 gallon QT tank would be easier to medicate in.

are you sure this came on all of a sudden?
from what your describing it sounds like something the fish has most likely had for at least a couple of months.. IME

also.. what do you feed the fish? what are the water peramiters to the best of your knologe (allthough that my be limited)..

this sounds like a nutrition defecency to me.. JMHO

I agree with greenmaji. Sounds a bit like HITH (head and lateral line erosion).

Can be caused by a vitamin/overall deficiency of nutrients, poor water quality, and stress.

Any chance you can get a picture? I know HLLE infects oscars and other cichlids, and sounds like it could be what your angelfish is suffering from. Are you sure there is no redness or opening to the sore at all?

There really isn't any redness. I read a bit on HITH actually online and it sounds like that's exactly what it is. The water quality wasn't ideal because I was away, but now that I'm back, I'm gonna get it back in tip top shape hopefully over time. I'll do my best to take a pic with my phone cam, but till then, is HITH treatable? Also, is it treatable without harming the plantage or other fish?

Thanks a LOT for all your advice!

Lots and lots of PWC, high quality food, and medicate and/or give anti-parasite food if those don't work, is what I've heard.

Right. Feeding a balanced diet will help. Along with the flakes, try frozen or freeze dried foods for a bit.

Also, like RoK said, lots of water changes. Keep your water in good shape, and you should see the spot gradually dissapear over time. Won't be a quick fix.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom