hole in the head on a pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gibbiceps

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it possible for a pleco to get hole in the head? He used to be in with severe cases of hole in the head on two albino oscars. The spot on this albino gibbiceps's head is red and looks very different then any other HITH case I have seen, so i'm wondering if it is possible that he just bumped his head and it is bleeding. I wil post pictures is nesscesary

You may be right that it's an injury and that is usually evident by a laceration mark (in the case of a scrape and/or tear). Do you have anything in the tank that could cause it?

You may want to treat at this point to ward off an infection.

Here is a picture. I can't even find any cases on the internet of plecos even getting hole in the head.

Attachments

• mini-arrow_978.jpg
    mini-arrow_978.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 474
Definitely not a common thing but you are always better safe than sorry. The spot you indicate doesn't look like HITH, which is good. I can't tell from the pic but I don't see any infection either. Since the wound appears to be small, it can heal on it's own. Just keep an eye out for any infection.

Back
Top Bottom