Horrible news dead discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F-18 TECH

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone
I have just been on vacation for the weekend, so to specify I was gone from the fish for 34 hours, and I came home to see one of my gold Juvi discus was floating on the top of the tank. Now here is my question. WHY!!!!!???? First off I researched the fish for 12 months. Set up a tank for them specifically. Added new fish 11 months ago to start up the bio filter. I got the Discus 3 weeks ago and added them into the tank in the least stressful way possible. I do water changes 2 times a week at 25 % each time the ph is stabilized at 7 exactly in a bucket in my laundry room. My filtration is an Aquaclear 300 and a Fluval 40. I have a constant 83 degrees temperature that is maintained by an ebojager 200W heater. I feed the fish 2 times a day (small amounts) of varying foods, i.e. blood worms, flake food, pellets for discus, and live brine shrimp. All three fish were eating and enjoying life when I left. All be it a little skittish they were great. None of them were clamping their fins, breathing heavy or doing any of the classic fish behavior symptoms that lets us know they are not long for the world.
So was it the fact that they missed two feedings in a very short period or am I doing something vary wrong with my tank and its discus inhabitants. I just measured the Ph of the tank and it is a stable 7.2. Nitrates are also stable. All the other fish are happy as pigs in a garbage can. So could it be bad genes on the breeders behalf or is it my fault :cry: This is the first and last time I will be purchasing discus if they all go so please help me I really love these fish and want to keep them happy and ALIVE. I just cant stand to lose these fish!

Moved to the unhealthy fish forum.

Do you have any ammonia or nitrite readings? What temp is the tank set at?

im sorry bud. thats horrible.
i feel for you . it would break my heart to lose one of mine.
i dont know what to tell you. im just a beginer myself. goodluck.
and i hope nothing happens to the rest.. :(

Sorry F-18 Tech. As a discus keeper for more than a few years I can tell you that raising juvi discus requires more patience and work than almost all other species. Still, IMO, it's a very rewarding endeavor. Set backs will occur so I urge you not to give up so easily.

Mysterious deaths happen. Not just to discus either. If your other discus show no symptoms or problems, you can suspect that the fish died of a specific problem. Discus have very short digestive tracts. Perhaps a bit of food twisted its intestine.

I would raise the temp to 84-85. FWIW, I change 1/3 of the water in my grow out tanks daily.

Back
Top Bottom