Hospital tank and sponge filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I currently have a hospital tank running with a mature sponge filter taken from my tank. I am treating unwell juvenile Boesemani Rainbow fish.

At the moment I am only using aquarium salt to see if I see any improvement.

My question is... If I go down the medication route, will the medication affect my sponge filter? Will I be able to use it in the main tank again?

The majority of fish medications will either put a dent in your filter medias beneficial bacteria or wipe it out altogether. Check the instructions on what ever meds you select. I wouldn't reuse a filter sponge in the main tank if medication is used.

Hello Bri...

Putting a chemical into the tank water is risky. You don't know how it will affect your fish. A little standard aquarium salt is fine, but not chemicals. Just feed a balanced diet and keep the tank water clean with large, frequent water changes.

B

I would be hesitant to use the sponge in main tank without disinfecting and thus wiping out all the bacteria anyways.
QT and Hosp. tank equipment should be kept separate or disinfected after every use IMO.

Like the others stated, I wouldn't use the sponge again in my main tank regardless of the meds. I would sterilize the plastic parts and replace the sponge and air tubing.

As for the medication, what symptoms is the fish showing and what medications were you planning to try?

Thanks for all your replies.

The symptoms are there is a white-ish colour running along the top of him from the head down to mid-body. He is swimming slower than usual and also I'll find him separated from the rest of the Boesemani's. He looks to be opening and closing his mouth, constantly, wider than normal, but he is not at the surface of the water.

While in the hospital tank he is also not really eating. I put one flake in today... he swam to it, then let it sink to the bottom.

Any ideas of what it may be? All other fish in main tank are fine. Water parameters are fine.

It sounds like columnaris, a deadly flesh eating bacteria.
Treatment for me would be oxytetracycline flake if they are all still mostly healthy, or you should use maybe Maracyn 1/2 combo
Not all bacteria is the same, and not all antibiotics work the same.
Not all will work in hard alkaline PH calcium water, most work best in soft or neutral water
Many people will say use kanamycin + Furan green, but furan is a harsh cancer causing chemical that i and not gonna reccomend to anyone anymore. Dioxin is what they put in defoliant, furans are among the harshes chemicals to use. Go the safe route and try the flakes or maracyn combo.
Remember, if you dont feed, you dont need to have cycled water. If you do feed, you can add bacteria to the tank by simply rinsing off a used spoonge or filter pad and pouring that bacteria into the new or hospital tank. Boom instant cycle (mostly)

Back
Top Bottom