Hospital tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatewaylabs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now I don't have any sick fish, but I do have a spare 10 gallon tank (it's not running or anything, but I've got everything for it). How do I go about setting it up as a hospital tank for future issues? What do I do about keeping the beneficial bacteria alive if there are usually no fish in the tank?

TIA!:fish1:

hook the filter from the hospital tank to your main tank so it stays alive

I don't have a place to put the hospital tank permanently next to my main tank, so hooking the filters together (no idea what you ever really mean) wouldn't work, plus wouldn't you just contaminate the main tank if the filters are shared?

Just re-reading - you mean have 2 filters on the main tank, then move one to the hospital tank as needed? My small filter is only a hang-on-back cheapo one - don't want that sitting on the back of my regular tank - that filter is a canister filter that sits under the tank in the cabinet.

Okay i just read it... there has to be a solution for this... cause usually i just keep my connected to my main tank and use it as needed.. or i use a small container and put the filter pad in there or filter in there and keep it bubbling with air and water conditioner and it works fine

I don't have a place to put the hospital tank permanently next to my main tank, so hooking the filters together (no idea what you ever really mean) wouldn't work, plus wouldn't you just contaminate the main tank if the filters are shared?

Just re-reading - you mean have 2 filters on the main tank, then move one to the hospital tank as needed? My small filter is only a hang-on-back cheapo one - don't want that sitting on the back of my regular tank - that filter is a canister filter that sits under the tank in the cabinet.

We run our hospital filter on the back of our main tank when the hospital tank is not in use. It is also a cheap hang on back filter. When we are done treating the fish we clean it out with hot water and put in new filter cartridges to prevent contamination and stick it back on the main tank. By the time u have to use it again the new cartridges should be loaded with bb for the next use

Back
Top Bottom