How bad is this.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chewy728

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I'm at work and my wife calls. She tells me are kids killed one of are fish. She made them chicken nuggets and I guess the kids thought the fish were hungry. They dumped the plate the nuggets and the paper towel into the fish tank. Could that have really killed one fish that fast? Should I move the fish out until I get the water changed?

Death by chicken nuggets???

Well, if one fish died already then I guess it's a good idea to remove all the fish and do water changes asap?

Death by chicken nuggets???

Well, if one fish died already then I guess it's a good idea to remove all the fish and do water changes asap?

Got the fish out. They are now in a part time tank. It was my betta tank so its small but I know the water is good and clean. Was going to be for a third betta but that will have to wait.

I'm not sure if the nuggets killed the fish or something else. I haven't been able to get a test kit yet so im not sure what the levels are. Should have gotten it tested when I took the water for the tank they are now in up to get tested.

My guess is that it is the preservatives in the nuggets I'm sorry but that is one of the funny things I have heard of involving children and aquariums.

Now had you had an Oscar, your children may have actually fed a hungry fish!

I'm sorry for your loss, I hope the rest of your fish end up ok.
I read somewhere that lunch meat hot dogs and bacon are preserved with nitrites and nitrates, maybe the chicken nuggets are too? I could see them getting nitrite poisoning from the inside... and if the nuggets were removed quickly them your water might not even test high? Just guessing here.

My guess is the salinity changed really quickly. If you have sensitive fish that could definitely bethe reason

Back
Top Bottom