How do u treat ich with heat and salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesselav1233

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an angel tank With some community fish in it and they have ich how do I treat it with heat and salt exactly...what temp exactly? And how much salt should I add? Any help I can get is greatly appreciated.

Treating with heat could do it by itself. Increase the temp to 98-99F slowly over the next day And add an airstone for better aeration. You'll want to do more PWC's and ake sure to regularly gravel vac.

This is how I treated ick with my Neons... Took a total of two weeks with temps at 99F. The ick was gone in a week, but keep the temps up for another week.

98-99!!! I doubt my heater will even go that high u don't think that will kill any of my fish I have 2 fire eels 2 panda catfish 1 sterbai catfish 2 angels 4 neons 1 swordtail

I agree with the 86-88 temp. And for salt, raise the tank salinity to 0.3% at the rate of 0.1% every twelve hours, maintain that level through water changes.

Because of the eels, catfish and neons I would skip the salt altogether. 0.3% is good for treating goldies but IMO it would be too much for many tropicals to handle.

Okay thanks I was aiming for 88 never had heard 99! I added a little extra salt but my Cory's are used to it they have been living with the recommended amount on the salt box and been fine I just bumped it a tiny bit up

jcolon said:
Treating with heat could do it by itself. Increase the temp to 98-99F slowly over the next day And add an airstone for better aeration. You'll want to do more PWC's and ake sure to regularly gravel vac.

This is how I treated ick with my Neons... Took a total of two weeks with temps at 99F. The ick was gone in a week, but keep the temps up for another week.

Are you serious? How did your neons react to those temperatures, thats pretty dang hot...

There are reports of a florida strain of ich being able to withstand 99 degree temps. And at that temp, you're seriously stressing your fish for no guarantee of successful treatment.

98-99!!! I doubt my heater will even go that high u don't think that will kill any of my fish I have 2 fire eels 2 panda catfish 1 sterbai catfish 2 angels 4 neons 1 swordtail

Oops... Yes, as was correctly said ...86 - 88F at most, plus the gravel vacs... Etc.
I kept mine at 88F for two weeks.

See what happens when you type and try answering kids questions at the same time.:facepalm: Well at least I didn't say 99C:D

Back
Top Bottom