How do you euthanize your fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lanasfishies96

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have heard of many ways to euthanize your fish. Personally i use 1 Tbsp of tea tree oil and they are gone in seconds.

I wondered this as well. My friend has a very old betta who is sick, and despite lots of TLC and attempts to help him, he looks miserable. The LFS told her to put him in a ziplock in the freezer as soon as he refuses to eat for a few days, they suspect it's a tumor... but she and I don't want him to be in pain.

Vodka is quick. Pour til the fish floats...only takes seconds (not onto the fish, into the water)

Someone told me to put it in the freezer as well......don't do it, they feel PAIN!

The water doesn't freeze fast enough for that to be painless, it would be like putting a human in a dairy cooler for the night.....terrible .....blood would freeze up in the veins

I have heard that Clove oil is painless and I plan to have that on hand in the future. A few drops to put them to sleep and then more to euthanize. I can't recall exactly the instructions

Remove some tank water and put it in a small bowl or bucket. Add fish. Use a small jar, like a spice jar that is properly cleaned, and put some tank water in it. Add three drops of clove oil and shake to emulsify. Add that water to the fish's water. The fish is sedated. Wait a few minutes and repeat with three more drops. Wait a few more minutes and repeat once more.

My friend and I think death by being frozen is cruel as well, Lana. My friend asked the lady if there was a more humane way, and she looked at her weird. "It doesn't hurt at all, why would you want to do it another way?"
She decided it wasn't worth it trying to explain the research we'd done that showed that though it kills the fish, they are in immense pain as their body shuts down (that's what a bunch of the sources we read told us). She would have just kept telling her the same thing, not even thinking about how painful it is for people to die by freezing or realizing it must be the same for fish. Thank you guys for the suggestions, if Bubbles gets really bad, I think I'll use some clove or tea tre oil to euthanize him. I think that's the most humane way, much better than being in the freezer.

I wrap them neatly in a paper towel and than carefully place them on a cinder block. Mark an X with a red marker and one swift thump with a hammer. Lights out. No pain..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've done that with smaller fish, it's definitely quick

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

��
You've got all the links

Yup needed to know that info :squarewink: ! Clove oil was grabbed for a toothache before by a family member & took me a year to find it again. Local pharmacy at the grocery store was able to get it for me in a business day but had to "order" it from the suppliers. Need the real oil, they tried to get me the fake/artificial oil, the second time I ordered it.

Back
Top Bottom