How long can you use Melafix for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Hospital Tank is filling up quickly. Have a Neon with Cadual Fin tear, a Neon with some possible Body Fungus, and a Dwarf Neon Rainbow without at tail....yes...without a tail.

The Neons are looking better (have been there for 2 weeks) and the Rainbow is fairing well (rumor has it that the tail may grow back).

Was wondering for how long you can use Melafix? The Rainbow's recovery will take months I am sure. Will daily use be okay for that long of time?

Thanks!

The Rainbow's recovery will take months I am sure. Will daily use be okay for that long of time?
He won't need the Melafix for that long. If he stay in QT and the water parameters are excellent, the filter works well and waste is vacuumed out weekly, there will be minimal chance of the tail getting infected. I like Melafix, but you should allow the fish to cope without it. Once the other fish are cured, allow the rainbow to recover by itself. You may need antoher QT tank--I have two for cases like this.

I like Melafix because it is all natural and will never hurt your biological filter. IMO, it's the safest med out there.

You may need antoher QT tank--I have two for cases like this.

Me too.

I also have a main Hospital tank (for the really heavy meds) and then a recovery tank. I know it seems like a lot of work, but so worth it.

As I see them healing and getting ready to be put back into the community, I will move them from the main hospital tank and put them into the recovery tank. I figure it's so hard to fully recover when your still surrounded by other sick fish and I don't want to run the risk of them catching a secondary infection. I try to do that most of the time, especially if I have a free tank to use. I hope that makes sense. HTH :D

Back
Top Bottom