How Long do I run Carbon Through My Filters Ater Medicating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Breath

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering how long I run the carbon in my filters after medicating my tank with "Jungle" Fungus clear. It is a 25 gal and has a fluval 2 plus internal in it (which I put one carbon pad in and a fluval 304 which I filled one chamber (both sides in chamber, the chamber is the middle chamber) with carbon.I did a water change about 30% and put the carbon in.The water was crystal clear in a few hrs and has been running with carbon for 3 days now.The water is clearer then any of my other tanks. I would like to know if and when I take the carbon out and do I have to change all the other media too or do I leave the other media in.
Thanks

You can go ahead and remove it. Give the other media a rinse if necessary, but it just depends on how clogged it is.

Usually after about 5-7 days carbon gets clogged with particulate debris and no longer works, except as a biofilter, so for removing meds 3 days should be more than adequate (you've got some serious filtration on that tank!)

Hope the treatment was a success-

I put the 304 on after the tank became infected (I just so happen to pick up the filter for $35 Canadian) so I thought why not and put it on the tank.I paid more for the 2 plus. Now if the carbon is clogged should I leave it in or maybe remove just half of it . The tank is crystal clear I kinda like it.the other media should be fairly clean I just cleaned it when I put the carbon in I guess I will have to add some more fertilizers for my plants?

I would remove the carbon - it is not doing anything for you at this point, and it contains (hopefully) trapped medication that you will want to remove. There is debate about whether or not it will release the medication back into the water over time - I don't know whether it does or not, but if you put it in to remove meds then I would take it out when it has done its job.

You can go ahead and return to your regular plant fert dosing schedule once the carbon is out.

Back
Top Bottom