How long does it take for fins to grow back?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jadewoods

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My friend had a young angelfish who was being attacked by her other fish. Overnight they ate almost all of his left side fin and half of the right. She had him in a hospital tank for a few days and now he has moved to mine where the fish are much nicer and he can heal. Just wondering how long it will take them to regrow and anything I can do to help the process? It's very sad because he can't stay upright, he keeps swimming sideways but has been getting better the past few days.

I would move the fish back to the hospital tank. Even if your fish are of a calm temperament fish will pick on other fish if they see weakness. Clean water and a stress free environment will give the angelfish its best chance of recovery. So a hospital tank where you can isolate the fish and do daily water changes is the best environment you can keep the fish in.

I agree with Aiken. When a fish shows weakness or injury, other fish naturally will attack the fish. Best to be put back into isolation tank.
As for how long it will take to grow back, there is no set time. Good food, clean water, and even added vitamins will help encourage regrowth.

It takes around one month for fins to grow back assuming the base of the fin hasn't been damaged. If the base of the fin has been damaged, the fin won't normally grow back.

Keep the fish well fed and do big regular water changes and gravel clean the substrate, and the fish should heal up pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom